Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

Delegation, organisation and movitation are all management skills too and he got them bang on that summer.

I couldn’t say who should take the credit for it, im sure both along with others had input. I wouldn’t try and diminish Davy’s role in 2013 but I cannot underestimate how much he got it wrong in the three years after

1 Like

If Wexford had any sense, they would try and persuade a pragmatist like Séamus ‘Cheddar’ Plunkett.

Derek McGrath, who was a disaster with Faythe Harriers, would just be more of the same.

The usual other names will apply.

4 Likes

Eamon O’Shea. Probably as Coach, with a front of house man. Ideally, Micheál Donoghue back in.

6 Likes

Agreed. Shafting MD was an absolute disgrace given he took the team to 2 AI finals in a row and won Galway’s first in almost 30 years. Especially given the shambles that followed. A good example of careful what you ask for.

Donoghue’s original coaching ticket (Francis Forde, Damian Joyce and Noel Larkin) had a bit more about it when compared to SO’N. O’Shea would be a fantastic addition.

Id imagine it would be difficult for O 'Shea to commit with his son likely to be involved in senior squad before long.

I doubt he would have much interest in getting involved with an I/C side outside of Tipp either. But you never know

1 Like

FF is an excellent coach, by all accounts, and DJ is a quality individual. I do not know anything about NL but I am sure he is good.

Damien Curley was involved with Galway under Anthony Cunningham and is another quality individual.

That factor would be there – but could be negotiated, surely, especially if EO’S was not manager?

EO’S is living in Galway a long time now and is a long time immersed in Salthill-Knocknacarra.

Imagine what o Shea would do with those galway forwards … serious raw materials there , they’d be lethal with his coaching …

Had a quick read of the Wexford hogan stand forum to see what the rumours are there. Which of the Limerick lads from here is championing Bulfin for next Wexford manager?:joy:

4 Likes

Well aware of it. But he also has a huge bond with the current Tipp side, granted a number of them are coming to the end of their careers but I think he wouldnt like the proposition of putting a team out against them.

I think so.

And perhaps EO’S would be the man to get the best out of Jason Flynn.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. That factor would be the biggest difficulty.

Damian Joyce and Henry hurled together in WIT and were good pals, from what I recall. Noel Larkin would be highly respected throughout the county and brought a lot to the set up. As for Cunningham, I think his shrewdest move was bringing in Eugene Cloonan and it set the forwards back a year once that coaching ticket departed.

Looking back on MD, he did so much right during his tenure. His main failing was that he was too loyal to the old brigade and didn’t blood enough depth or youth. He fell on that sword in 2018.

1 Like

EO’S would do well to know what side his bread is buttered on. Fellas have been ran out of Salthill for less.

They aren’t worth a fuck to win their own ball, that’s the problem. Compounded by shit ball into them.

EC is a very good coach. They are impressed with him in Graigue-Ballycallan.

If EO’S could not be tempted into the next Galway set up, EC would be a good call for coach.

1 Like

I’m no fan of Derek but he wasn’t a disaster with them. @Bandage would know better but I’m sure they were in relegation bother over recent years. Derek got them to the knockout stages for the first time in a while. They’ve a young team. I saw them once and they were extremely negative.