Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

Well, fair enough. Point taken.

But your own comment sums up what I meant.

They have no issues winning their own ball when they play us

3 Likes

Yeah, they won the 3-team group last year (usually 2 groups of 6 & 5 group games to get 8 quarter finalists but 4 groups of 3 last year because of the pandemic where 2 went through in each). It was a relatively weak group but Ferns would have been favourites for it based on their recent latter stage appearances. They also beat Fethard. The Harriers defeated Oylegate in the relegation play-off/final the year before and their problem has been a lack of depth/pure talent to support Chin, Richie Kehoe and a couple of others. There was an absence of players in that early 20s bracket coming into the senior team for one reason or another for a few years. They blooded 3 of Wexford’s 2019 minor team last year but are still a bit short. They were comfortably beaten by eventual winners Shelmaliers in the QF but they probably performed a little above expectations overall, albeit in the shortened season. I saw 2 of the 3 games and there were occasions when they had 1 or nobody in attack. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I saw their 3 games and I thought they were awful in all of them, albeit winning two. They scored 1-14 and 2-10 in the two games they won. Just all out defence and stifling the opponents who both played awful and should have had the nous to go against it and take much longer range shots. They scored 1-12 against the Shels, who just kept tapping over points from deep, scoring 0-22 and I dont recall them ever really threatening for goal as there was no need to. Credit to the Harriers for winning those games, but I was far from impressed by them.

1 Like

That was fucking hilarious. In the short time he was there he made clane shite of Nenagh. Mention his name to any Éire Óg man and just watch the colour he turns. :rofl:

2 Likes

I more or less agree from a team setup and performance angle, but I think winning the group slightly exceeded expectations. Whether they were 1st or 2nd though, I think a QF exit was about par. I’m not sure they could have gone further with another manager. Let’s see if they show more attacking intent in his second season - it’ll probably be more of the same. I would like to see Wexford pursue other options first, but Derek could conceivably get us playing some vivacious stuff.

3 Likes

Is Derek back involved this year?

That’s good to hear. Cloonan is a good lad and I’m glad to hear is been well-received. That crop of St. Mary’s hurlers has yielded some excellent coaches. John Hardiman had underage success with Galway, as has Brian Hanley, and both are well-regarded. Hopefully Cloonan continues to develop.

1 Like

It takes an awful awful awful amount of skulduggery to get run out of Salthill.

A most instructive conversation, alright…

Mick Fennelly would surely be a better option than a more refined Davy in Derek McGrath. Davy 2.0 if you will.

Pretty much what I’ve been saying about Galway dor years. The players are there, the management to get them to click together never has been.

Think so, yeah. Not sure how often he’s there but he’s some way involved afaik.

“Vivacious”. Fantastic word. I hope you get a nice post for that.

But what is the best Galway team?

Éanna Murphy

TJ Brennan
DaithĂ­ Burke
Darren Morrissey

PĂĄdraig Mannion
Joseph Cooney
Fintan Burke

Shane Cooney? [bomb scare as a defender]
Ian McGlynn

Evan Niland
Cathal Mannion
???

Conor Whelan
Jason Flynn
Brian Concannon

I’d be plamassing O’Donoghue as much as I could and do my best to get Eamon O’Shea involved with him. O’Shea can walk away from Tipp with his head held high and a change of scenery would do him no harm.

3 Likes

Something like that. Surprised if Conor Cooney doesn’t have something to contribute still.

You’ve four players up there with the best in the country if not the best in their positions Burke, mannion, mannion, Whelan. That’s as much as most counties have.

You’ve the spine of your defence nailed down.

You’ve a next tier then of Cooney, Niland, Flynn (maybe), and concannon that are well up there with what most teams can put out.

Is Johnny coen even 30? What age is David Burke. You need a mix of ages and tipp have it wrong, but I still believe players are well able to perform til 32 minimum and we tend to write them off too fast based in age.

There’s so much in place with that team already I think, if they all performed to the level their capable of. I’m sure they must have the supporting cast available to round it out.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Padraig Mannion but his form has been pretty poor since 2019. He is a long way off the player he was in 2017/2018.

3 Likes

Is Ian McGlynn even on the panel? He may be next year and he may well start but I don’t know if I’d say he’s definitely one of Galway’s best two midfielders. And I’d have doubts over Shane Cooney as a midfielder too.

Actually, when you put it out like that, it doesn’t look all that impressive. Now that is partly because they haven’t really brought through that many young players. Diarmuid Kilcommins could be an option at wing-forward next year but they definitely look light at half-forward.

I asked the question before but where are Shane Moloney, Brian Molloy and Thomas Monaghan these days? The latter two would only be around 23, are they on the scrap heap already