Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

Fair enough but then Galway as a team havenā€™t been great since then either. Which is kind of my point, Galway players consistently perform below the levels we know theyā€™re capable of. I believe with the right management in place getting the best or near to it out of most of them, they could be as good as anyone. Iā€™ve definitely believed that over the last five years or more. Some of those players are now edging the wrong side of 30 though, I still think players have something to offer at that stage but time is running short. SON had the job for two years while the window was still there.

Hard to know really though. Had he much managerial experience before Offaly? Heā€™s hardly knocked that job out of the park either. I had a feeling that Eddie Brennan was batting his eyelids at Wexford from a couple of media bits in the last year. In the infamous stooks piece with Colm Parkinson, he was giving itā€¦Iā€™ve no time for Davy but the Wexford county board are very progressive and his set up wants for nothing. Weā€™re so far away in Laois from having that kind of backing. There might be nothing in it. Derek McGrathā€™s on the record as wanting another crack at intercounty. JJ Doyle will have his backers locally given his camogie and U21 record. Keith Rossiter was involved in the senior set up with Davy too but not sure if heā€™s a front man. William Maherā€™s name comes up from time to time too.

Yeah, I think that window is pretty much shut now though barring Donoghue coming back for one last push. The likes of Harte, Coen, David Burke all have serious miles on the clock and are there since 2010 or so, Joe departing the stage as well. It is the impetus of youth they need now. I havenā€™t been overly impressed with Shane Cooney or Fintan Burke from what I have seen of them but they may come good in time but I think this team has ran its course especially if Joe is out and a bit of a rebuild is needed, it wonā€™t take all that long to retool with the right management either

2 Likes

Yup Iā€™d agree with that assessment. And itā€™s a shame. They played some glorious stuff and weā€™re involved in many of the most memorable matches of the last decade, but they definitely underachieved. If theyā€™d had a set up like Limerick have now, tipp have had at times, etc.

1 Like

Yes, Conor Cooney will be 29 in October and should be able to contribute ā€“ from full forward. Niall Burke was 30 last May.

As widely mentioned, David Burke (32 next January), Johnny Coen (30 last March), Aidan Harte (33 in August) and GearĆ³id McInerney (31 next September) have serious miles done.

DaithĆ­ Burke will be 29 in November. He should have another two or three seasons in him at full back. Joseph Cooney was 30 last March. Should have at least one more season in him at half back.

I would have doubts over Shane Cooney, full stop.

Ian McGlynn is the future and will need time.

You are correct about Diarmuid Kilcommins. Could be a 21st century wing forward.

Mannion has been quite toxic for the panel this past 12 months. He is not captaincy material, and that needs to be set straight immediately.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think he had, but he does now. I suspect a more traditional approach would work wonders with Wexford.

1 Like

John Meyler will surely put his hat in the ring for the Wexford gig

1 Like

SOā€™N announced a development panel earlier this year, but I donā€™t think Ian McGlynn was included. To my mind, McGlynn is cut from the same cloth as David Burke. Heā€™s skillful, powerful, and has a will to win.

Forget about Shane Cooney. The Cooney that Iā€™d be investing in is John Cooney. Weā€™ve been watching him from U14 and he is the most skillful of his brothers, with the necessary levels of meanness to succeed at inter county level, if you know what I mean.

3 Likes

Interestingā€¦

IMcG looks like a great prospect, to me. Then again, I was very keen on DB from the time he was a Minor. I believe a lot in Galway doubted him before he came into his own.

I will keep an eye on John Cooney. He needs to be given a serious programme. He could make a good number 12.

You might be right. As a people, weā€™re probably too excitable and stupid to play in a refined way.

1 Like

That is true. But if you met the man, youā€™d know what he was about. A born leader. No bullshit. Invests in the younger guys on the panel too. He invested far more in the development of younger players this year than their captain did.

Do keep an eye on the new JC. I also have high hopes for young Quirke at wing back. Time will tell.

Davyā€™s way is not refined. Itā€™s uncultivated and awkward. Youā€™ll never get the best out of Conor McDonald or Lee Chin with that sort of fuckacting.

You canā€™t tell anything about a hurler based on how he was as a Galway minor more than any other county minor almost. I still maintain the best minor hurler Iā€™ve ever seen apart from Richie Hogan was Niall Healy. Apart from one freakish day v KK he done feck all as senior.

McGlynn is very good alright. Actually think in the long run he will make an excellent 6.

1 Like

All still playing senior club, Molloy and moloney are the main men for Leitrim club champions Kilnadeema and tynagh abbey duniry respectively. Werenā€™t making it, simple as that. Maybe a switch to different type of player will help them. Moloney is some disappointment hands down the best minor in the country 10 years ago.

Minor was always a poor indicator, definitely in Galway, now itā€™s more pronounced. Itā€™s a way weaker grade than u -18 add in that minors donā€™t play club senior now, makes for alway less developed hurlers

Cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

He lost to Down in the Christy Ring last year. Had he managed anyone before Offaly?