Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

Iā€™d rate the talent Galway had in squads as higher than what tipp had for most of the last ten years. Tipp had managerial set ups that got the most out of them for most of that period and the championship opened up for them to win a handy one once or twice. Galway did not have managementā€™s that got the most out of them.

Ah thatā€™s nonsense.

Tessio and MD were the least of Galwayā€™s problems while Tipp won an All Ireland under Michael Ryan and had Declan Ryan in charge for 2 years also.

A master of deflection. See the recent wexford loss where it was all about ā€œabuseā€ and not a word about the performance

1 Like

A master media manipulator. He has RTE eating out of his hand, he certainly knows how to play the game.

His championship record actually isnā€™t all that hectic either. Outside of 2013, 2019 and the Munster title with Waterford over a decade ago there have been far more bad years than good.

Oversaw two of the most humiliating defeats ever seen in Munster and All-Ireland finals, ran Clare into the ground in 2014 and subsequent years (possibly the worst AI title defence ever seen), dumped out of the 2020 and 2021 championships by a bang average Clare team, never beat a Munster team in championship while over Wexford, one Leinster title in five years when Kilkenny were at their lowest ebb in 20 years. Blew it against Tipp when a man up and a few points up in 2019 but bizarrely people focus on the first 35 mins.

Gas listening to Wexford lads championing him. ā€œHe didnā€™t fleece us that much.ā€ :smile:

11 Likes

Have a look at the accounts. Everything is above board. @Gman is our personal correspondent on this and has been through it with a magnifying glass.

Youā€™ve one almighty horn for Galway and joe canning.

2 Likes

He shouldnā€™t be entertained at all in my opinion. I heard him saying a few weeks ago he hates confrontation. I mean LOL.

And I wonā€™t lie to explain how much of a cunt he is I was silently rooting for Clare and alright sort Brian Lohan these last few months in their games. If itā€™s not limerick Iā€™d love to see Clare do well to stick it to Davy and his father.

Hopefully we donā€™t see any more of Davy on the sideline or on the tv screens. Heā€™s a complete cunt.

4 Likes

Any of the interviewers on Davyā€™s media tour calling him to task on his poor record with Wexford and how they have regressed since he took over from Liam Dunne? In the championship it was 5 defeats from 5 knock out games, 5 defeats from 5 against Munster opposition and 3 hidings and 1 draw from 4 meetings against Galway.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Always someone elseā€™s fault for Davy.

1 Like

Breakdown Eddie Brennanā€™s inter-county record though:
2016: Lost to Westmeath with Kilkenny U21ā€™s
2017: Beat Dublin, Westmeath, Wexford and Derry to reach an U21 final before losing to that savage Limerick team

2019: Won a Joe McDonagh with Laois (to be expected really) and scalped Dublin a week later, before losing by 10 points to Tipp.

2020: Heavy defeat to Dublin in Leinster before giving 14 man Clare a real fright in the qualifiers

A relatively decent record but his biggest achievement was probably getting players to commit in Laois and that scalping of Dublin.

2 Likes

At it again today in the Examiner hawking Davy for Galway. You would wonder where the editorial control is that lets him publish these party political broadcasts for Davy.

1 Like

Seeing as the Irish Examiner Deputy Sports journalist was the person who interviewed Loughnane and jet him fuel the siege mentality of the late 1990s its hardly surprising.

Iirc he nearly came a cropper against Derry of all teams with that u21 team. Other thing that must be taken into account is for all the praised heaped on that Limerick team, they still only beat Kilkenny by 6 points in that final.

There was a 10 minute spell Galway put together against KK in the championship last winter, and Iā€™d say it was nearly the best of any team that year for pure hurling quality.

I saw SON smiling at the first water break last week, they were about 6 points down, he must have been waiting for that spell. Very strange team, achieved a lot but probably underachieved relative to their talent.

2 Likes

2 Leinsters in 5 years would have left Davy very much in credit for the job in Wexford, but thereā€™s some disappointment with the last 2 years. Heā€™ll still be looked on fondly enough for winning 1 Leinster given the gap back to the previous one, even if Kilkenny came back to the back. Theyā€™re still very hard beaten and Galway being around added to the difficulty too.

On the other hand, @ChairmanDan ā€™s facts make poor enough reading in their own right. Blowing up against Tipp from a winning position will remain a huge regret, but at least they played excellently for 50 minutes. The 3 eliminations to Clare, 2 completely limp exits where the game was decided at half time, are real black marks and annoyed the shit out of me more. Clare themselves have been in fairly transitional mode throughout that period, yet we rolled over to them.

So, as ever with Davy, itā€™s not straightforward and different achievements/failures can be knitted together or pulled apart to make a case for or against him.

3 Likes

Think they put about 8 goals past Derry and they changed the U21 semi-final structure because of itšŸ˜‚ Never really looked like beating Limerick in the final though.

Outside of Joe I wouldnā€™t rate any of the other Galway forwards in the class of Callinan, Bubbles, John McGrath et all to be honest. Nowhere near really

2 Likes

Whelan??
What are you on?

8 Likes