Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

A one point win either way would be in order

We were discussing players’ relative merits, not which worked better as a three. You keep moving the goalposts to try suit yourself. Count medals, only judge based on when so and so had a good season, these guys were better “as a three”. Nonsense.

Canning better than Callanan. Mannion and Whelan better than McGrath and bubbles. There really isn’t any more to it at the moment.

Now, there’s still a good bit of hurling left for the latter four, so McGrath and bubbles could turn it around yet over the next two to three years. Maybe.

1 Like

No it was said Galway have produced better players this decade than Tipp. I said apart from Joe I didn’t agree. Nothing has changed or will change my opinion on that regarding the 3 mentioned since. In five years time Whelan and Mannion may very well go down as better than them, for me at the moment not a chance. They’ve produced more in bigger games than the Galway lads have.

Agree on Whelan, arguably one of the top 3 most dangerous forward in the game over the past five years. John McGrath is in very poor form but has been a goal machine over the same period, 23-139 scored against Whelan’s 12-89. Bubbles has played two seasons more, I would put him a notch below Whelan and McGrath.

Although he is a wonderful hurler and generally very accurate, CM has been disappointing for Galway in big games. He was held scoreless in two AI finals and scored 2 points in the 2017 final. Was very poor in both championship games this season, even his shooting deserted him.

I’d go with Whelan, McGrath, Bubbles, Mannion.

1 Like

Would you agree that mannion and Whelan are better now?

It’s an interesting one really.

What do people think Davy was getting from the County board? He had a sponsored car, which not paid at all by the county board but is set up by them. So actual cash, what do people reckon he was getting?

Davys Money
  • 30 to 40k
  • 40 to 50k
  • 50 to 75k
  • 75 to 100k
  • 100k +

0 voters

No one cares mate

3 Likes

Davy is box office. People watch games to see his interviews after and what he will say. Hoping his team loses so that he erupts and goes mental, which both happened more often than not when over Wexford. All the talk about his money and bleeding Clare and Waterford dry.

2 Likes

How do these boys avoid tax?

Assume its just going in as milage expenses. Great way to get a net salary all paid out.

But that’s taxable beyond a certain rate. @iron_mike might know.

Davy transcends the sport.

Yeah I don’t know. I’m sure if revenue really wanted they’d come down on all inter County managers

What’s the template for Davy’s successor? A manager that might actually deliver a win or two in a knock out game, have a squad conditioned to go beyond 50/55 minutes or is it to be another box office entertainer where the results don’t really matter?

2 Likes

Jim Bolger is having a think about this as we type.

1 Like

Go and read your post again. The backtracking, goalpost shifting and straw manning you have indulged in since has been remarkable even for this place.

To be honest, I think Liam Cahill would have been a great appointment. Waterford results and performances since he took over bear that out now too.

Inside sources have indicated the successor, so definitely not a Davy type media hound seems likely.

1 Like

My last post stands, if u want to debate that fire ahead if not jog on

It bears little relation to your initial assertion

Here’s his initial assertion for a reminder

Imagine thinking John McGrath and Bubbles are better than Whelan and Mannion :smiley:

cc @Special_Olympiakos