Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

He’s embarrassed that he is so out of the loop.

I was on it a fortnight ago traveling from the Clonroche side to Dublin. As you said, some lovely views of the West Wexford countryside stretching out to the Blackstairs.

There is no Clonroche side. Are you mixed up with the New Ross road?

No. Clonroche. I was traveling from Clonroche to Dublin and bypassed Enniscorthy en route.

Davy is thinking about Wexford to the very end. Even going as far as insisting that Diarmuid O’Keeffe be back from his travels in time for pre-season in January as opposed to the February return requested by O’Keeffe. That should be a timely boost to the Wexford senior hurling manager in 2020.

Well those were worthless.

Fuck sake @Appendage

1 Like

What did I say?

There is no Clonroche side. You wrote it just there.

@Appendage @Gman
Ok guys, you can take this offline.

Oh that Clonroche side.

1 Like

Not to the ‘journalist’ who made them up and sold them on to the national press they weren’t.

Davy leaving has the Wexford lads at each others throats

Davy would be mad to leave Wexford and Galway would be mad to take him at this point. I think he’s an excellent manager and doesn’t get enough credit, especially from the Clare apes who would not have won an all Ireland this decade without him.

I would have said that Davy is smart enough to assess the squad he has available and tailor the game plan to suit them. But, given the remarkable hurling Wexford played at times last year it would be very hard for him not to pursue that system again. I don’t think the Galway players suit that system and its also a mature squad that may be resistant to it.

From Davy’s perspective, he has complete buy in in Wexford and he genuinely revolutionised how the game is played. He has to be better off working to improve Wexford another few percent within his system than starting from scratch in Galway with a squad who will probably take time to convince to buy into his system let alone get up to speed in playing with it effectively.

From Galway’s perspective, they have a mature squad with as much talent in it as any team in the country. They don’t need a new system and to learn how to play hurling from scratch to be effective like Wexford, they just need a bit of freshening up and to get everyone back to the form they’re capable of and they’ll be an all Ireland contender immediately. Taking two years to learn how to play Davy hurling is a waste of time in the cycle of this Galway squad, they’d be far better off with Anthony Daly.

8 Likes

I too think Davy is a great fit for Wexford and a bad one for Galway, both in a hurling sense and a personality sense, in terms of him “getting” what Wexford is, and them getting him

Wexford is passion and pride and glamour and box office, Galway has never been that

The logical thing for him is to stay with Wexford until the Clare job becomes available again, which is probably one year

I don’t think his heart will be in it with Galway, and if he’s with them and the Clare job becomes available next year, he’ll find it difficult to stay put

I could see him lasting just the one year and it not going great

When @glasagusban becomes the voice of reason in a hurling discussion you know things must have gotten slightly insane

1 Like

”Davy Fitzgerald has stated that he has not spoken to anyone from the Galway County Board about the vacant Galway Senior Hurling manager’s position. Social media reports were rife this morning that he had been ratified for the position despite nominations from clubs still being sought until Friday.”

“I have to decide whether I am staying in Wexford or not, that is the most important question I have to get in my own mind sorted.

“I’ll be doing that in the next day or two. My heart is torn unreal for the last number of weeks.

“I think people appreciate it’s a massive long drive down to Wexford for me. It’s probably two and a half to three hours down and the same back. That’s three or four nights a week but listen I’ve a very special bunch of boys down there.

“The one thing I will say is I haven’t talked to one person from Galway County Board.”

Davy Fitz

1 Like

has he talked to pat mcdonagh though?

1 Like