Deli Watch

Just wondering what the demeanor of GAA players visiting delis are like this week?

Any updates?

2 Likes

I thought this was going to be a thread to log notable deli experiences, and I’d like to point out that Daybreak on Clonliffe Road, Dublin served me an absolute belter of an afternoon breakfast roll last week, a real 9/10 affair right up to having just the right amount of crunch in the baguette. My own demeanour at the time was: hungover, and badly in need of a breakfast roll.

4 Likes

Ok- Let’s make it a thread to log deli experiences and the demeanor of GAA players that frequently use delis.

1 Like

I met current Wexford football centre forward PJ Banville in a deli in Wexford town last week. I was on the phone walking out through the shop, but he seemed in good form and said hello anyway despite me being on the phone. I couldnt hang around to see what he got, but I’m sure he was pleasant to the girl at the counter.

2 Likes

Donnybrook Fair is the finest deli in South Dublin. Their breaded spicy chicken fillet is magnificent on a wrap and they stock Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups which make an outstanding post wrap treat.

1 Like

What about a world renowned soccer player ordering an ice cream? Can we expand the thread for that?

Their Mexicano wrap is fantastic

Winner.

Fire ahead, pal.

The muckers here will be awfully confused that you’ve mentioned DF

I recall, I think it was Bandage who got one of them in a tizzy once before when he mentioned the fair Fair.

Irish and International goal scoring sensation Stephanie Roche with some nondescript Irish teammate getting a refreshing iced pop on the lovely Portmarnock Strand over the weekend. It seemed to have done the trick for our girl as she smashed home a hat trick against Montenegro yesterday. She had a lovely pleasant manner to her as she queued and did not try to use her status to be served any quicker than the rest of the mere mortals present.

No photo of the lady, but it was a tremendous day on the strand.

1 Like

Donnybrook Fair’s wraps are distinctly average. Their deli counter is ok but overpriced. Other artisan delis that are also overpriced are a lot nicer than DF.

Correct. An outlet for denizens and wannabe denizens of SoCoDu who mistake pricing and branding for quality.

Joup in Cork is off the charts. Unreal.

Its just an over overpriced fresh

Fresh is shit.

A couple of months ago I was in McCabes Deli on Tara St. The choices in the deli are constantly evolving although Mr McCabe is a cranky fook. Bernard Brogan and Bernard Brogan snr were having coffee with a legal looking individual. Bernard Brogan snr asked the legal looking individual for more details on a contract which may or may not have been linked to their recent purchase of the Pillo hotel in Ashbourne.

1 Like

Where did they make their money? They seem to have bought up or already own a few big businesses?

Playing college football. Like how Shaq made his money playing college basketball.

1 Like