Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

That biography book he wrote ā€œEl Diegoā€ from 15 years or so ago is class. He didnt give two shits about anyone or didnt play the ā€œgameā€ to keep people onside. I must see do I still have a copy of it.

Gazza Gazza Gazza :clap:

6 Likes

That Argentina jersey was a thing of beauty.

Didnā€™t cover himself in glory for Houghtonā€™s goal in Euro '88 as well.

100% he had a stormer against England in Euro '88 but after that it was downhill gradually. The Penalty save glossed things over a lot and Alan Kelly should have got the nod in USA '94.

1 Like

The two goals that knocked us out of 1990 and 1994 were down to Bonnerā€™s errors. He also always struck me as a bit of a gobshite.

6 Likes

And the failure to qualify for Euro 92 away in Poland when 3-1 up. He gave away their second and it finished 3-3. That was our best ever team and best chance ever in a tournament imo. Played England off park in Wembley

2 Likes

Didnā€™t England score a very flukey goal from Lee Dixon with a huge deflection off Staunton?

Niall Quinnā€™s equaliser was a peach.

If Packie was any use he would have played for a big club during his career.

1 Like

Ernie Hunt, a ringer for Gordon Strachan.

1 Like

Not many Irish players did in that time, Chippy is the only one that comes to mind.

3 Likes

Are you discounting Liverpool?

Who?

Bonner had awful hands. If Italia 90 happened today heā€™d be crucified for Schillaciā€™s goal. And at club level his big weakness was considered to be crosses.

I see what youā€™re doing.

Carry on.

Too many to share

There were a few European Cup medals floating about the Irish squad in the 80s.

1 Like

LOL (taken from Football365):

And Shilton really should know ā€˜cheatingā€™ when he sees it; he was arrested for drink-driving after being found at 5am in a country lane with a woman called Tina in his car (by Tinaā€™s husband). Both were partially clothed. In his hurry to drive away, Shilton crashed into a lamppost. He was fined and banned from driving after admitting ā€˜taking a lady for a mealā€™.

2 Likes

Probably posted already but nice one by Gazza

Shilton is a proper proper cunt. Should be up there in cunt of the year thread even while doing nothing.

2 Likes