Diet & Nutrition

Pm me your email?

I just made up a batch with the 2 year old this morning. It’s been a popular staple here for a while now.

just back from a lovely week with the kids in Cambrils too. We have much in common.

4 Likes

That’s a right shiny worktop there pal, nice though, ye’re a tommee tippee household I see.

1 Like

Are you having this @ironmoth ? I’m sure yours is lovely, but you don’t always have to reach for the moon, pal. Sometimes it is the simplest of things that is the best… But a collaborative effort could make us millionaires, kid.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but the last time I made @ironmoths version I replaced some of the honey with maple syrup, I’m sure it took from the healthiness but gave it a bit extra on the taste front.

I’m a big fan of simple wholesome cooking dude. I’ve been making granola for years, and probably just get tired of the same recipe so I change it up every so often. You know yourself, granola is a piece of piss to throw together, so an extra 5 mins pulling together new things to add doesn’t make much of a difference.

I’ve said it here before, the price cunts are charging for their ‘fancy’ granola is obscene. There’s money to be made. “Mouse and Moth Granola”… has a ring to it.

2 Likes

Add whatever you like pal. I’d often add maple syrup instead of honey. Olive oil, or butter, instead of coconut oil. It’s all good.

7.50 euro for 500g from a stall in Limerick this morning, didn’t look anything special

Madness.

Bastards.

Did he tell you his life story too?

1 Like

Huh??
It was a woman and I didn’t talk to her.

Last fella i bought granola off there… Took me 10 minutes to get away from him. Nice fella but full on

1 Like

I wasn’t feeling that sociable this morning, had a bit of a chat with Sefik the baklava man but just did my bit of shopping otherwise,
@Smark I got a couple of tubs of Rene Cusack chowder to heat up at home, it’s unreal to be fair, 6.95 is expensive but it’s enough for two big bowls.

The homemade stuff isn’t cheap to make though, take Ironmoths recipe for example. I went out today and bought the ingredients for two batches but a batch would only do me seven days. The rough price of what I paid for my ingredients would be:

Bag of oats 1kg - €2.80
Walnuts - €4
Brazil nuts - €3
Cranberries €3.50
Sesame seeds €1.50
Pumpkin seeds €2
Linseeds €1.50
Goji berries €2.50
Honey €3.20
Vanilla extract €3.50
Olive oil €4

A lot of the above will be reused the second time, but not the nuts and cranberries for example which will need to be bought again. So adding in the costs of a second round of those I’d estimate the total cost of making two batches (enough for one person for two weeks) to be about €42. So €21 for a weeks worth of homemade granola for one person. I don’t think I’m saving anything on cost there versus the shop bought stuff but it is tastier and you know what you’re eating.

It wasn’t a big fella in a Munster hat was it…

@backinatracksuit to my shame I couldn’t make it in this morning. I’m not right in myself today as a result.

21 quid? Fucking mugs on here. Buy 3 boxes of this stuff and put your feet up.

1 Like

They’re vile shit I despise them

2 Likes

We must’ve crossed paths at the airport on Friday 20th. I’ve it booked again for next year

I made a 2kg batch today. Walnuts, organic jumbo oats, cranberries, raisins, olive oil, honey, seeds, lemon, were all bought in Aldi / Lidl for a song. I already had the sea salt, vanilla extract and ground ginger. Total cost was approx. €11.

If cost is an issue, you could swap cranberries + gojis for california raisins (Aldi do lovely ones), and just run with walnuts.

Anyway, as you said the home-made stuff I tastier and you can trust the chef!