Directions From Dublin Airport

Officially no - needs to be an Aer Lingus flight. Depends on person on desk. I think I’ve had them query me bringing somebody too much with me before but waved me on with a scolding.

1 Like

Half 3 in the morning and the tent city queue for security is already full to the brim.

Lots of people in hi-vis meandering around but none of them appear to have a clue

It’s not great, but I have been inebriated

I’ve just been a week ago en route to Verona. Flew with KLM. Semi horrific.

Booked the flights months ago as we wanted to land in Verona so we had quick transfer to Bella italia and direct flights were a grand extra. Had flown Schiphol few times before and found it big but pleasant. We were flying first leg with KLM and second leg 2.5 hours later with Transavia (affiliated/owned by KLM). Tried to get an answer the week before on whether our bags would go straight through but the oik on the phone seemed to think we’d need to collect our bags on landing and check them in/security again in Amsterdam across another terminal which given 3 hour security queues was going to mean missed flight. We also threw two days worth of clothes into carry on in case a bag or two went missing,

Got to Dublin airport to friendly klm guy who said no, bags go straight through to next flight and we can walk across to new flight with no security. Magic. However was a 1 hour queue to check bags in Dublin as there were two staff coping with this flight and an Air France one.

Actually got some coffee/croissants and fruit at gates and got onto flight. Then comes over the plane intercom, all the computers are down in Schiphol so the pilot will need to do some flight log/plan manually. Great. One hour delay with a 14 month old tyrant on her first flight. Thank god for Cocomelon. Eventually get going with baby nodding off for duration of flight due to ‘white noise’

Land in Schiphol with some confusion on whether they give us our stroller off the plane or not. Some clipboard guy eventually relents and we walked into terminal (from T1 to T2 I think) passing the famous Heineken bar. Things were busy airside but very manageable. Had to pass through a passport control but EU Lane zipped through in a minute and then down to our gate with 1 hour to spare for next flight.

Had a beer and a sandwich and let junior madam walk the legs off herself. Pint of freddie €7 with a 500ml can from fridge the same price.

Started to board the second flight on time. All going well. Then more confusion. Too many bags or the wrong bags on the flight. Some yellow vest up at the plane baggage rooting through them for ages. We miss our take off slot and are going to be grounded for an hour on the runway. They’re still fucking around with the bags and take off 10 or 12 on the runway. Miss our next take off slot as airspace over Bonn is chocka so need to wait another hour. Cocomelon and stuffed toys not doing their job any more and little one likes the look of the aisle. She gets a few sashays in before we get word we’re departing. 2 hour delay and not even offered a cup of water.

We get going and she nods off again thankfully as the refreshments cart gets attacked by all and sundry.

Land in Verona thinking we’ve made it in one piece thank god. Get trolley ready for baggage carousel and text Luca our pre booked taxi on where we are.

Get a bad feeling as I see how few bags are on carousel. Goes around once - none of our 4 bags. Goes around twice - a Union Jack suitcase appears. Definitely not mine. Talk to fellow passenger who said he was told they were moving bags from front to back of plane so maybe they haven’t opened that yet. Look out to runway and see a load of people boarding our flight. Try to remonstrate with local Verona airport security who points to a stick on his hip if I try to go back onto runway.

Admit defeat and join the lost and found queue with 7 or 8 others in same scenario. Try to avoid Mrs Spidey’s glare and tears as we realise we actually checked in the bag that was our emergency one and we actually have fuck all with us :joy:. Proper proper depression thinking we’ll never see those bags again and they’ll join the Schiphol graveyard. Get chatting to people in the queue and curse the f^ck out of the klm guy in Dub airport who said they’d go straight through. Swap numbers with a lady who said we’d contact each other if we hear anything.

Fill in the forms and ready to buy our holiday wardrobe in Primark Verona next day. However lady in queue texts me next day saying her bags have arrived at Verona airport and will be on the way in 2 days to her accom. I ring the airport and huzzah they have our 4 bags too. We’re 20 mins away so Luca gets a call and an apology and we collect them quick smart and a relieved Spidey family.

Ps we go through Schiphol again next Friday on return but in the afternoon/evening.

31 Likes

Epic tale!!

How long you planning to be there in advance, you missed the worst of schiphol I’d say without having to go through security

All that for a one day delay in someone’s baggage.

@Thomas_Brady the Irish shouldn’t be let out of the country

2 Likes

You’d have to wonder why we bother going abroad at all.

The worst part of all of that is having to sit through Cocomelon.

1 Like

I’ll be connecting through from Verona so hoping no security in Schiphol again.

1 Like

That’s some hardship. You should’ve spent the 5k for a couple of nights below in Killarney

5 Likes

An epic tale definitely one for the I’m glad I wasnt there folder

Delighted to give that the big 10th.

Ive got questions…
The main one being… why in the name of fuck were you flying through Schipol? Would you not have flown direct and got a slightly longer transfer rather than 2 flights with a couple of hours between? Madness.

2 Likes

Even after reading the essay I still don’t know what happened his bags? :man_shrugging:t5:

4 Likes

Lol, I’m as lost as his baggage was :woozy_face:

6 Likes

A grand more I think

Or fly to Bergamo and get the train to Verona

1 Like

TFK is built on lads not fully thinking through domestic and family matters, travel logistics, a mini crisis developing and then victory being snatched at the last moment from the jaws of defeat.

We all get a story, embellish it and have a conversation piece later on for the missus -
“A lad I know (from the internet)” - and thank our lucky stars it wasn’t us, this time. The words in parenthesis are left out.

12 Likes

Aer Lingus fly direct from Dublin to Verona! Wtf are you at?!

Edit - it’s a 2 hour 40 minute flight!

1 Like

Verona hasn’t seen a family run amok like this since the Capulets went full Putin

2 Likes

To fly direct to Verona which is 20 mins from bella Italia. Bergamo is half the price of verona and about an hour away. So to save 40mins in an air con transfer with his new besser luca, he took 2 flights and a layover in Schipol…

6 Likes