Faldo's DIY General thread

I suppose he was hoping yourself or @Fagan_ODowd would remember from first time around

4 Likes

I’m riding above your snide remark and offering a few suggestions.
Make sure the piece isn’t infested with woodworm at the outset. Endless, I can’t stress this enough, endless patience will be required. A few light tools are a help, the likes of a mouse sander and a stapling gun will produce the required results quickly which give the project impetus.
I’m sure other experts will add productive nuggets of wisdom into the future.
Who knows, this time next year we’ll all be millionaires …

2 Likes

I thought you were supposed to be restoring it, not ensuring that it doesn’t require restoration. It’s this sort of attitude that has left sligo devoid of Harrington commodes

@Loko_Cove is the budding restorer on this one.

We also had a religious status restorer, unfortunately he was banned before we witnessed a miraculous transformation

Lads any of the reckon if this table is worth trying to save. Its 30 years old and I didn’t have the heart to chop it up. I was thinking of sending it down and repainting it.

You could replace the timber? This time you could bevel the edges and round the corners…

Easier and cheaper to buy a new table. It was just a thought of something to do during our house arrest

All the same, I’d round the corners and bevel the edges. You dont want the lads at the dump to think you’ve no hands.

9 Likes

This…

Buy new timber, sand down the frame and repaint. Job is oxo and no waste. ( burn old timber )

1 Like

@glenshane is right. You can bevel it with an electric sander.

And do something about those patio slabs

Someone had to say it

@iron_mike Get chloras in the co-op. Mix it up with water and put it in a weed sprayer if you have one. Fire that down and power hose it the day after.

The place will be so clean you won’t need a table.

5 Likes

Dripping Shower Head when the shower is off.

Been happening since Sunday. There was work being carried out Sunday near us and as a result we had reduced pressure on the mains during the day but I’m not sure if that is the cause of the dripping of just a coincidence…

Any ideas :bulb:

Too much pressure now probably. Is there more pressure on kitchen sink tap? That’s the only one that should be directly connect to mains. Some people connect shower to mains for more pressure but not covered by insurance if it leaks/explodes.

Get yourself tested. Sure sign covid 19 is in the place

I have this one but you’ll need a plumber/very handy lad.
You need to take off the casing and a miniscule piece of lime most likely is preventing the release valve from closing properly.
It happens me every couple of years and my man comes and does the biz. He’s a big fucker so I can’t actually see the corrective action but I’m supplied with running commentary and it all takes 10 minutes.

Alternatively, run the shower at its hottest for a minute and await results but for my money it’s gotta be option A.

Yea, some crap stuck in the infeed valve, or the infeed valve is gone faulty. The infeed pipe connection should have a filter to catch the crap but some fitters loose it or don’t bother putting it in.

You mention the mains but not specifically the shower type; the assumption being we are not talking about an electric contraption.

How and ever, were it an electric shower, your issue would most likely be caused by a sticking solenoid valve. This in an electric coil based tap that opens and closes as you turn on and off the shower.

Replacement is straight forward, you’d pick one up for 50 or 60 notes.

If it’s a mixer shower and you’ve access to the brains of the operation, open it up and clean it out with vinegar or better still limescale remover. Disassemble any parts that you can and soak them in the solution if they are caked up. Replace any o-rings you see.

If you have any rough looking roaster housemates that slam doors, leave lights on, boost the heating with the windows open, leave the house and not lock up, use your shampoo, eat your sliced pan or drink your cider, tell them not to overtighten the shower tap.

2 Likes

Any place online delivering Paint gents?