Documentaries worth watching

Thriller in Manila is definitely the better of the two Ali boxing documentaries,after that im fucked i wouldnt be a big documentaries watcher.

I just noticed Dogtown and Z-Boys on NCCs list. The movie Lords of Dogtown is a good accompaniment to it. Very interesting stuff.

Thrilla in Manilla is a superb documentary.

On that subject I really enjoyed The Fight series on BBC a few years back.

I have been meaning to see The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off for ages now. Heard that it is superb. Anyone know if it is available on DVD?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]
I have been meaning to see The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off for ages now. Heard that it is superb. Anyone know if it is available on DVD?[/quote]

Ah thats not up to much. Some lad with his skin peeling off? One of the lads looks like that in here today.

“The World at War” - 26 part series about World War II originally broadcast on ITV in the 1970’s. Absolutely the definitive history of that war. Pretty sure you can get it on DVD.

Pilger’s World in Action documentary about Cambodia from about 1979 is outstanding stuff as well.

While not nearing the dizzy heights of ‘When we were kings’ the documentaries of Adam Curtis are top notch quality viewing. Two good ones are ‘The Power of Nightmares’ an account on the evolution of the mindset and events that brought about the war in Iraq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FyuuWlWQ
eature=PlayList&p=5BF86B79B4D1425E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

and ‘The Trap’ a series about the true nature of freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyMv2e7giQ
eature=related

Seriously recommended viewing:popcorn:

1 Like

Added this to TFKTube a while back and it’s excellent stuff. Very comprehensive but moves at a very lively pace as well. One great thread that runs through it revolves around a man who’s son was killed on Sept. 11th and the family of the first Iraqi family to be killed in American bombing raid. Your man was a typical blue collar new-yorker, gung-ho about the war and asked the bombing crew to write his sons name on the missiles. Then you get to see the consequences of that first raid and the innocent people who were ripped to shreds by the missile. American escapades abroad laid as bare as it gets. There’s a gradual realisation on the part of the father on what the war was really about and it’s just excellently done to be honest. It’s just a tiny bit of the whole thing but it works brilliantly on a lot of levels.

Has anyone mentioned When We Were Kings yet?

Why We Fight

Award winning documentary and an in-depth examination of the forces that drive American Imperialist foreign policy. Serves as a devestating portrayal of the nature of US foreign policy, as well as a powerful depiction of the manipulation of both the democratic system and public opinion in the march to war.

Grizzly Man is very good
Thrilla in Manilla is excellent
Someone mentioned March of the Penguins earlier. Its only alright, a Morgan Freeman voiceover does help the sell though.

Would the Fog of War be considered a documentary? Well worth watching.
Anyone see Louis Theroux in New York with the hardline African Americans? Funny shit.

[quote=“Piles Hussain”]
Anyone see Louis Theroux in New York with the hardline African Americans? Funny shit.[/QUOTE]

That was Philadelphia I think, and I believe ‘Men of Colour’ is the preferred nomenclature.

Thought it was NY with Al Sharpton et al.
These aren’t the guys who built the railroads…

[quote=“Piles Hussain”]Thought it was NY with Al Sharpton et al.
These aren’t the guys who built the railroads…[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Well done.

The Last Victory about Civetta’s attempt to win Il Palio for the first time since 1978. Reminded me of Limerick hurling in a big way. Excellent documentary. They actually won it last week. What the difference between the July Palio and the August Palio I don’t quite know.

[quote=“Lazarus”]While not nearing the dizzy heights of ‘When we were kings’ the documentaries of Adam Curtis are top notch quality viewing. Two good ones are ‘The Power of Nightmares’ an account on the evolution of the mindset and events that brought about the war in Iraq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FyuuWlWQ
eature=PlayList&p=5BF86B79B4D1425E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

and ‘The Trap’ a series about the true nature of freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyMv2e7giQ
eature=related

Seriously recommended viewing:popcorn:[/quote]

‘Power of Nightmares’ is pretty good. The background on the neo-cons is very well done.

Scorsese’s No Direction Home - the story of Bob Dylan.

Superb stuff.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Scorsese’s No Direction Home - the story of Bob Dylan.

Superb stuff.[/quote]

What’s the verdict on Dylan farmer?

Legend.

That’s it really.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Legend.

That’s it really.[/quote]

No dirt?

Always thought he was a bit up his own arse myself…

He stole records from his neighbour of Woody Guthrie as they were impossible to find.

He also recorded his mate’s from Grenwich Village version of the House of the Rising Sun without asking him.

He got a lot of stick for selling out by going electric but the way I look at it is there were be no Highway or Blonde if he hadn’t.

I watched Anvil there a couple of weeks ago. It’s a pretty good watch in a sad/pathetic way.

Give it up lads for fuck sake.