Documentaries worth watching

“Edge Of Democracy” about the power grab by the right in Brazilian politics, the false imprisonment of Lula, the effective coup d’etat against Dilma and the fake “anti-corruption” drive of Sergio Moro is excellent.

As if to prove the point, the ruling far right regime has been viciously attacking and intimidating director Petra Costa.

1 Like

On season 4.
Very good.

1 Like

OJ Simpson : Made In America. Outstanding.

1 Like

Watched The Australian Dream last night. Excellent, about Adam Goodes 2 time Brownlow medalist and Swans aboriginal player who was subjected to racism during his career. Sad end to his career. I remember the booing starting and the big debate is it racism or is he bringing it on himself. Doesn’t reflect well on the country and especially the AFL and their people of influence namely Eddie McGuire and Sam Newman.

1 Like

I posted up links to the two documentaries made about him on the 30 for 30 sports docs thread. The other one is quite good too, albeit framed in a different manner, The Final Quarter.

Eddie McGuire comes out bad, even though he inadvertently is racist. As described, a casual racist who doesnt even realise he is racist. Sam Newman is a prick. Always was and always will be. I cant remember if that doco showed him doing the blackface when Nicky Winmar didnt turn up on the show. How the producers let him do that and how he was able to continue on in his job is unbelievable. The half arsed apology to Winmar then. The worst to come out of it all though is Andrew Bolt. He just comes out as an out and out cunt. Again, though, cant recall the differences between each documentary, both are quite similar with similar references and quotes etc, although the Final Quarter goes more through the factual and reporting side of it, whereas the Australian dream is more about the thoughts and opinions of the people throughout his last few years.

link to the other post with both documentaries there to watch

Yeah went into Newman and Winmar and showed the black face. The apology was worse. Andrew Bolt is in it a lot. He’s the political analyst guy isn’t he, what was his show the Bolt Report was it? He comes across as a complete cunt.

Yeah thats right on Bolt. The fact that he is still popular and gets so much media gigs is telling on the general Australian public who not only accept his views, but agree with them.

Excellent documentary on George W Bush on PBS America over the last few days.

9/11
Afghanistan
Iraq
Katrina
Financial crash

Some tenure.

Recorded this on bbc4 the other week only got around to watching it this evening. Fascinating stuff. I have no doubt the TFK contemporary art experts will enjoy it

https://g.co/kgs/97EdDq

1 Like

Has this been posted yet?

I suppose you have to watch it with an “open mind” as they say…

There was a fantastic documentary on the life and times of Teddy Prebdergrass last night on bbc2. Very well made.

I knew very little of the man aside from knowing he was a soul singer from a few obscure pop culture references, he had some voice and charisma. Well worth a look - @Fagan_ODowd right up your alley

2 Likes

Fascinating stuff. The origins of our civilisation. Agriculture, counting, writing, society

3 Likes
4 Likes

@Tassotti

Unreal viewing.

2 Likes

Ignore, link working grand

That looks class. Had shankly a dark side?

They say he always regretted retiring and it left a big gap in his life. He showed up to train with Liverpool after he retired and eventually had to be told to stop coming.

1 Like

Tell Shankly Never!

1 Like

Darragh McIntyre is some bollocks. Passing that bullshit off as investigative journalism!

3 Likes