Documentaries worth watching

Must say there is alot of things you can say about the GAA, but what i am seeing is a wonderful inclusion of our new foreign invasion.

I was told recently 1 team from Nemo in some blitz had an entire forward line with no irish born players on the field at one point.

Integration theu GAA thru clubs putting coaches in schools has taken off.

4 Likes

One of our feile winning teams this year was captained by a Chinese chap. Might not be at Lee Chins level, but a good young lad

1 Like

The Eastern Europeans don’t seem to have taken to our sports at all, they started coming to Ireland nearly twenty years ago at this stage, I thought I would see a few polak surnames on county minor teams by now but I can’t recall any to be honest. the Nigerians have had more of an impact on GAA than the Eastern Europeans

Great to see it happening with kids that young though. They know no different. I see yer man the coach in the video is the local guard as well. Would imagine huge knock on benefits to relations in the town long term as well

Are they playing soccer I wonder?

Massive numbers in Martial Arts anyway. Bit of soccer as well. Rurally they are playing GAA, not in the cities as much though

Would it be fair to say they don’t integrate at all really in the main? It is not unusual for some of the Eastern Europeans living here for 10+ years to still have very poor or next to no English. I think their kids are more integrated though.

That was what I was about to post, not sure if they are great mixers. They keep to their own. The meathead husbands can be very suspicious.

2 Likes

I was on the Waterford greenway yesterday and I saw an absolute stunner Eastern European bird, a genuine Miss World candidate with a kid and a really ugly looking Irish fella with two names tattooed on his arms, hers and the kid presumedly, I was thinking that the aforementioned meatheads must fucking hate the little prick.
I’ve never heard of an Irish girl marrying a Polish man, is that common at all?

Failing to speak the lingo is not an uncommon trait among first or sometimes even second generation immigrants, regardless of which country they come to.
When I was living in Germany, I met and worked with people who had been living there for ten years or more and still didn’t have a word of the language

Very much so. Having met a few Eastern Euro women they had virtually no Irish friends.

But the true can be said about the 22-32 kinda range of Spanish, Iralian and Portugese as well. If they stay it will be there kids that integrate fully.

The Polish do have a superiority complex towards the irish though. Same the other way of course, but very different cultures. The service industry bears this out very obviously.

I was in Paddys Day parade with a group, and was astonished at some of the large groups from very far away and obscure places like Malawi, Nepal and such places. Great to see tgere colour and traditions there. But i could not believe there was 3-400 Nepalese in Cork.

Alot of Central and South East Asians working in Hospital and Care Industry.

The ex’s are lethal. Alot of Polish women profess to prefer the “softer” Irish man. But when they get involved you then have these lunatics turning up at Irish lads homes and jobs threatening them and all sorts. Its mental. Had a mate who walked away from an absolutely unbelievable Russian bird due to the ex.

1 Like

There’d be about 10 different nationalities in my social groups in Dublin and Galway, none of which would be Eastern European. This would be common enough anecdotally as I’ve had this conversation a couple of times with different people.

Ya that seems to be the way. Abd i think thats very much a educational/industry thing. Many of the med people are coming gere with degrees and better and working in Pharma or IT or whatever. Eastern Euros is a different grouping.

Never heard of it.

1 Like

The innocence of kids :clap:

A friend of mine was in Lithuania recently at a conference, and he was talking to the professor that organised it. They got chatting about social differences between the likes of Ireland and the eastern block countries, as people he met over there were fairly morose, wouldn’t look at you on the street etc. She told him that if you saluted someone on the street or smiled at them, they’d think you were mental ill or a simpleton. :smile:

2 Likes

Behind the Iron curtain you’d be shot if you were happy or waved at someone else.

Perfect once everyone is equally unhappy.

2 Likes

A hungarian taxi driver explained all that to me once when talking about service industry.

In eastern bloc its considered rude to be personable to someone in say a coffee shop or whatever. That your job and its seperate to your personality. Its why we struggle with them so much ocer here in tgat sector