Documentaries worth watching

O Driscoll is a tard.What did you expect.

1 Like

We don’t all go on walking tours with other dorks to pretend we would have done anything back in the day. I think you’re the one in a bubble there.

Plenty of Irish people do not give a shit about history. Plenty do not have nordie relatives. Plenty of the Celtic wearing Rastoolers don’t have any concept of the history themselves.

2 Likes

I know plenty that do as well.

More. It seems to be well received, but maybe thats just by the brain damage through sport community

Yeah but its not just the north, i thought most if not all Irish people had an appreciation of it, of the distrust and hatred that reaches back generations, colonialism, etc

The orangemen fairly mugged him off getting him to carry and play the lambeg drum, and laughing away. Dislike them all you want but not much chance of one of the binmen or dock workers being so naive.

Couple of things, it would have been primarily aimed at a British audience, who have even less understanding than southern Irish people.

Some of you live in complete bubbles. A far higher number of southern Irish will go to visit France annually than Northern Ireland. The uppity northerner like a couple on here desperate to assert their Irishness is as much about where they come from as the attitudes they encounter from southerners.

2 Likes

Yeah maybe he was the perfect host. It seemed as much an eye opener to him as it would to them, which i found strange. It was billed as a kind of crossing the cultural divide but he seemed to have no understanding of division, or of nationalist perspective, bar reading from a script at intervals. Which was forced.

Bizarre. Tourists will go to a warm, interesting country instead of some pilgrimage of sorts up the road to what, show solidarity or something? People have their own lives, they have too much going on to be getting emotionally involved in grand causes. Similarly people in rural ireland have zero intereat in the dublin rental situation, and why should they. But i would still expect that irish people understand the situation in the north, not go in open mouthed. But like you say you didn’t watch it. So im arguing over something specific you haven’t seen, you are projecting your opinion on the irish psyche in general.

Northerners are 4 times as likely to come south as southerners are to the north.

You can expect that as much as you like, but they won’t necessarily.

What does that prove?

Huh?

The British secretary to Northern Ireland said she didn’t understand the division between Nationalists and Unionists and she was ridiculed as an idiot. O’Dricoll, an actual Irish man, says the same thing and people start lining up to defend him, “We don’t care about the North, etc.”. O’Driscoll is an embarrassment but he got hit in the head a lot.

1 Like

What?

30k cross the border every day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4W5QkIbg1E

Just watching it now, quite a misrepresentation of him from you there.

How so?

The scene you described. Come on ffs, have you watched a documentary in your life?

Again, have you ever watched a documentary? :grin:

Examples?

To which o driscolls reaction was to read a scriped voiceover about that bloody sunday. Then to say ‘when i saw john hayes crying beside me during the anthem i realised this wasnt just another game…’ only then he realised!

I just called it as i saw it, he was bizarre on the falls, his drawn out Guide To Throwing Over Walls was savage documentary making indeed.

Lenihan spoke well.

A lot of furious editing undertaken I see.

It was a harmless documenatary, O Driscoll came across as a simpleton really, a few of the nordies spoke well.

2 Likes

That’s not actually what he said.

There is a scene where he is at a memorial and there is a guy there explaining his personal connection to many of these people.

Afterwards O’Driscoll comments to the effect that you would forget sometimes how personal this is to people.

Similarly with Willie John talking about walking home on Bloody Friday with bombs exploding and the likes of Nigel Carr, he also takes a step back to examine his own upbringing at the time and him playing for Ireland when those weren’t issues.

There is a fact in people being aware of history and what’s going on, but detached from it.

I don’t see the issue with it after watching it.

That said, the simple fact is many in Ireland are pretty ignorant of the conflict apart from violence and it being about unifying Ireland, but that is far from the whole story.

Tough for the Rastoolers and the lads who like to think they would have done something back in the day to understand in their little bubbles, but that’s what it is for many.

Tim Pat Coonan was on the radio the other night. He is of the view that the spot where Girvan Dempsey dotted down for his famous try was the exact spot where Michael Hogan was slain.