Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Will you stop, I had a few pours of Ardbeg last night, the smell alone is worth the entrance fee.

I’ve a few bob to spend mate, stick to the paddy in your ma’s back kitchen

1 Like

I’ve no idea, if anyone on here knows where to get a bottle please post the details.

You’ve been caught spoofing again. If they only started in 2014 it’s unlikely they’ll be bottling anything for another 7 or more years. I imagine you could visit the premises and get a taste from a barrel.

So why did you ask how much a bottle is then you fucking idiot? :laughing:

1 Like

Dunno the price dingle first batch is lovely stuff.

Because you suggested it was available you dense fucker, otherwise why would you say “I’m going to try and procure some of this”. What were you thinking of doing, rounding up a few of the local RA and storming the distillery?

1 Like

That probably makes sense in your head.

I never once suggested it was on general sale, hence why I used the word procure. It was only launched today so there’s not much info available on it.

Now pop back into the kitchen and cook some grits for your punters before you embarrass yourself further.

2 Likes

Tried that down there in the summer, think it was in Ashes after the dinner one night, very nice alright,

What’s this tack like. Got a bottle there at the weekend and hoping it’s the real deal. Will be sampling throughout the weekend.
Vintage-Cask

Scotch piss.

2 Likes

its fuckin scotch mate, bin it

1 Like

Could be useful to help start the fire …

I wouldn’t give it to the dog

Fuckin aul aunt and her bribery

Drink away on it anyway. Sure what’s the worst than can happen

Whisk(e)y goes off — oxidizes — pretty quickly once the level of liquid in a bottle falls below halfway. You probably only have a couple of months in this scenario before the whisky is no longer itself — and then a shadow of itself. Oxidized whisky tastes dull and hollow (and somehow dusty). I have experienced the syndrome in pubs a few times and you would not mistake the experience, once encountered.

Around 2000, I was in Ye Olde Reindeer in Banbury and noticed they had a 1980s bottle of Redbreast behind the bar. Could not resisting ordering a shot, though the bottle was but a quarter full. Yes: dull and hollow and somehow dusty.

If you have a really good bottle of whisky, one getting below two thirds full, you are as well off decanting most of the remainder into labeled 10cl bottles (which were not at all expensive when I bought a rake of them from Loch Fyne Whiskies in the mid 2000s). That way, you can pick and choose when you want to finish a particular bottle, sure it is still at its best.

There is a lot of journalism about whiskey in national newspapers but I have yet to see an article noting that certain pubs are sitting on a depreciation timebomb. Many pubs now carry a range of whiskies costing between 12 and 28 euro a shot. How quick, in most establishments, is this stuff moving? You will have people eventually ‘treating’ themself to a highly expensive whisky that is way past its best.

The funny thing is that whisky becomes at its absolute best if you drink about 15cl of a 70cl bottle and leave the rest for a few weeks. Exposure to a small bit of air improves the rest of the bottle a noticeable amount. Back in 2000s, I did some experiments with this factor and it is, according to several friends, definitely true.

11 Likes

That is very informative. Thanks.
I presume the same would go for cognac etc?
Happy Christmas BTW.

Sound. Same to you.

Yes, I imagine this point is true of all ‘brown’ spirits but not sure like I am as regards whisky.

The Revolution place in Waterford must hold nigh six figures in stock. Whisky-led pubs would want to start decanting their bottles at a certain point. But are they even aware of this factor? And how would this move be made while reassuring customers no swizz is afoot? Video, perhaps?

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, why dont they sell the expensive stuff in smaller bottles?