Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Unless it’s 100 pound a shot and has a hint of Oakwood it’s no use, I wouldn’t even use it for Irish coffee for the peasant calling into the house on Christmas day

1 Like

The earliest records of alcohol distillation come from Italy in the 13th century, and whisky was first produced in Scotland in the late 15th century. Dolt.

A hasty but wise retreat.

3 Likes

Lads going stone mad now trying out whiskeys they know fuck all about reminds me of when Miller came out that time and all the Heineken drinkers swapped over thinking it was the greatest thing since the sliced pan while sneering at the Budweiser drinkers.
I loved sitting back watching them in action, and I’m enjoying watching this whiskey discussion now.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea, stocking up on the old Crested, but I have my doubts the move will do a Bitcoin on it… Hewitts was a good and underrated Irish whiskey. Discontinued about 15 years ago, Hewitts now goes at auction for 100-200 euro — closer to the lower mark, I think.

Hewitts was a fair bit rarer than Crested Ten. So there is probably an investment deduction to be made. Over the next ten years, old Crested Ten will probably drift up to 50-75 euro at auction. Just a guess…

I once had Crested Ten from a 1960s bottle in Green’s of Kinvara. Tasted the exact same as present bottling (year was 2007 or 2008). And no oxidation, because 1960s bottle had just been opened.

2 Likes

Your some fuckin spoofer

3 Likes

@Bandage in light of the recent spate of domestic violence this thread should be locked.

2 Likes

Ah well, at least I am a spoofer who had an Ardbeg 10yo and a Green Spot Chateau Montelena in a pleasant public house last night, having earlier been given Connemara 12yo and Redbreast Lustau to taste by a nice lady in World Wine Wines. There are compensations for nearly everything in this area.

Here is a drink suggestion for you:

1 Like

And ‘You are’, by the way, not ‘Your’.

:smile:

2 Likes

May I ask a genuine question?
What is the difference between whisky and bourbon?

Bourbon has to be from the state of Kentucky.

1 Like

Sorry, I see that your core question was not really answered. Yes, an unopened whisky bottle does not oxidize and should hold perfect (or near perfect) condition. That said, some whisky does evaporate over the years and you can see a fall in level. The view is that whisky bottles with a cork, if being kept for the long haul, should be stored on their side so as to keep the cork moist. Else, the cork might dry out and crumble, which might allow the whisky to oxidize in some degree.

I have seen people on whisky fora say they occasionally come across a duff bottle due to musty flavours and aromas, which might, again, be a cork issue. I remember someone specifically raising this topic about bottles of 1970s Redbreast opened in the 2010s. But I think any such issue is rare.

I have not drank enough really old bottles to give a worthwhile opinion but there is a quite strong view among experienced people that whisky improves somewhat for giving many years in the bottle. These people do not mean improvement of a ‘20 year old claret’ variety but a ‘rounding out’ of flavour. Then again, there is an even stronger view that Scotch whisky distilled pre mid 1970s is a different beast to Scotch whisky distilled 1976 onwards. The mid 1970s saw widespread changes in distilling practice in a quest for greater efficiency. Most of what are considered ‘old bottles’ predate 1975. So the supposedly greater flavour might be more a matter of distillation chronology than a case of bottle age per se.

Bourbon needs to be made with at least 51% corn and matured in new oak casks. There are criteria as regards mash bills with different kinds of American spirits.

1 Like

So a different drink altogether then really?

I recall the US as having very prescriptive laws on spirits. Over 30 different types of whiskey defined here

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter4.pdf

I guess so. Definitely distinct flavour profiles. You could mistake whiskey for whisky and vice versa. But bourbon is always unmistakeably bourbon. Of course, there is as big a variation in quality with bourbon as there is between Paddy and Redbreast 21yo.

Exactly.

My great old pal the late great Larry Fanning had a fondness for Crested Ten and I have one every Christmas in his honour.

3 Likes

You’re boring the shit out of us now.Take your scutter back to boards.ie,they might have a bit more time for ye.

2 Likes