Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

A taste and tolerance for whiskey very much has to be acquired and it takes time. But once acquired it is great, unless you are making a complete pig of yourself you would not get all that heavy a hangover off it. A bit of heat might come out of you the next day but the head and stomach would be in tact.

I would normally have a black bush thinned out with a splash of water after every third or four pint when on a session or wedding these days.

Hot whiskeys are one of the great things about winter as well

7 Likes

Amazing what a post on whisky can unleash… But I am well out of various feuds.

Black Bush is a lovely drink. Personally, I generally prefer whisk(e)y that is more influenced by bourbon casks than by sherry casks — Cragganmore over Macallan, say — but Black Bush is an exception. As a few people mentioned, BB is probably the best value for money around. Powers remains top notch (and the newly released Powers LVA 1817 is gorgeous). I love a glass of Powers in the pub with a large bottle of Guinness or a good pint of Guinness — a combination a Clare friend of mine christened a ‘black and amber’.

Green Spot used to be, pretty unquestionably, the best value drop in the world when it was around 30 quid a bottle. But it has gone up a fair bit and the new iteration (with a cork rather than a screw cap) is not as good as before (as Fionnan O’Connor emphasizes in A Glass Apart).

Ardbeg is desert island stuff and probably my favourite single malt. Far more delicate in ways, too, than is often appreciated. Highland Park would be packed for the same island.

There is a lot of great bourbon. I reallly like rye that is, flavour wise, on the ethereal side (Old Potrero, Wild Turkey 101) rather than on the darker side. Most people find Woodford Reserve a bit of a revelation on the bourbon front. Few weeks back, I had an Elijah Craig 12yo in Against The Grain on Wexford Street. Delicious.

Dingle is really promising, given how young its distillate remains. Alas, I was quoted 250 euro last week for a bottle of its single pot still, which is not long out (for around 100 euro). The fad for whiskey is bringing in sharpers. L Mulligan have that Powers LVA 1817 listed for 150 euro. This bottle (which is not meant to be for sale save as shots in certain Dublin pubs) I can buy elsewhere for 80 euro.

There are a plethora of new distilleries and not all of them, in all likelihood, will survive. The most interesting one by far seems to be Mark Reynier’s Waterford Distillery. Am reallly looking forward to trying whatever they bring out.

By the way, Bushmills is largely the malt (for the moment) in offerings such as Tipperary and West Cork. Perfectly nice juicy whiskey but it will be interesting to see how their own stuff fares. I read that West Cork are now using some of their own distillate but have yet to try the relevant bottles.

9 Likes

This cunt has bluffer of the year sown up

4 Likes

Run along and drink a bottle of Paddy. It is dying to meet you.

1 Like

Is there a “hint of grapefruit” of it?

Would you use a different whiskey for making hot ones?

No. There is a hint of ‘ressentiment’ in it, which is why the libation will suit you down to the ground.

Now, off you go to google.

I would normally use the cheapest whiskey I can find for them like Jameson or Powers.

You wouldnt make mulled wine with fine wine, same principle applies

5 Likes

On a forum with labane??

8 Likes

@Malarkey, I know a guy who stocked up on Crested Ten old label in the hope that in a few years his investment might see a good profit but also in the knowledge that there’d be no deprecaition as he’d still have a few bottles of decent whiskey anyway. I presume he’s right in that if they aren’t opened the quality of the whiskey doesn’t deteriorate? What’s your opinion on the investment - worthwhile or not?

Some amount of shite being spouted

2 Likes

Easy knowing the good times are back,gin experts and whiskey experts everywhere now.Fuckin spoofers.

9 Likes

Malarkey like Labane knows his stuff mate on a variety of interesting topics. It breaks the tedium of lads posting about their bicycle adventures and outings to Brighton.

The danger with whiskey is taking into it after 10 or 12 pints. That’s lethal altogether. A drop or 3 without any pints is as good as any too. I’d have to have it on its own nowadays or not at all.

2 Likes

FAO of the many whiskey experts of TFK.

Is it pure stupid to use a very fine whiskey to make one of those silly hot whiskey drinks that some people enjoy, I have a couple of bottles of plain old Jameson as well

Yes.

1 Like

This

Christ, a few fellas gone well out of their way to explain the fairly obvious here.

7 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

People drinking whiskey for 1000s of years yet the chumps on here think they have a unique slant on it

5 Likes