Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Yes. Even the old coot. 1 week left before she is back in qld. Huzzah

1 Like

:ronnyroar:

I had a feed of whiskey last night while doing Santa and it brought out emotions in me i didn’t know existed.
A very very unpleasant experience.

2 Likes

Whiskey leaves me in a state I can’t talky

3 Likes

The collector of Crested Ten is a very decent fella as it turns out. Presented me with this yesterday morning with the advice to keep it safe. As you can see I didn’t take that advice. Carpe Diem!

4 Likes

@TreatyStones that was supposed to be a general comment & not directly at you. Sorry!

1 Like

You can keep it safe in your belly

Yes, I’ll give it little chance of oxidisation. If it makes the New Year it’ll be lucky. It is a nice whiskey to be fair.

1 Like

I agree that whisky rarely needs to be stored on its side simply because it is not going to be kept long enough for cork desiccation to become a factor. Not sure about ‘cork taint’ (or some such term) becoming a factor where ‘long haul’ whisky is concerned. Genuinely not sure but I have a hunch problems with whisky corks would have far more to do general storage conditions — humidity in cellar and so forth — than with cork per se.

I have just one sliver of experience on this front. Around ten years ago, I bought six bottles of Macnab 15yo from a Dutch guy who had an eBay whisky shop for a bit. Macnab 15yo, a once off single malt, was a bottling of Ledaig 1972, a superb cult whisky. Lovely story but I will leave anyone interested google it themself rather than rambling on even more…

https://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/ledaig-1972-1988-lot-id-377.html

Anyhow, this Dutch guy in the mid 2000s found two dozen cases or so of Macnab 15yo lying, forgotten, in a Scottish warehouse. He bought the cases, relabeled most of the bottles and sold them online. While I got through the bottles grand — and it is outstanding whisky — I could see there was an issue with the bottles’ cork. Nearly all of them were weak in some form — presumably from being stored, upright, in a warehouse (which would be anything but optimum cellar conditions) for nearly 20 years.

One last thing: never buy decent whisky on a ferry, because the constant vibration turns the whisky ‘gritty’ and inferior in taste and texture. Found out that point myself the hard way and later saw the science of it confirmed.

5 Likes

For the curious, here is the original Macnab 15yo:

https://www.thedustybottle.com.au/product/the-macnab-15-year-old/

1 Like

I received a twelve years old bottle of midleton when our eldest was born. That was 16 years ago. Anybody any idea what it’s worth today?

What year is on the bottle?

Jayses, I don’t know. I’ll have to pull it out and have a look

If you have a 1988 or a 1989 with the attendant cardboard box in excellent condition, current prices are 500-800 euro, give or take.

That assessment, after having a squint around online, might be a small bit optimistic. But you would get a nice three figure sum, in all likelihood, selling privately to a collector.

:-0

It’ll be worth that next time Limerick win an All Ireland.
Crack it open that night @iron_mike, and enjoy…

It’ll be had at my wake if I save it for that.
Current plan is to pass it onto the daughter.

I refer you to the movie “Sideways”

1 Like

Fuck - it’ll be worth some fortune when that happens