Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

I wasn’t conscious of it until I got a present of a bottle around the 2000s. I got a few bottles as presents since. I’ve never bought a bottle.

My relationship with whiskey is fairly straightforward - that the giving hand may never falter and all that. Procure bottle - open, pour and enjoy.
Whiskey is for enjoyment, not wondering whether the odd bottle at the back of the press is gone up €100 in value since last year.

17 Likes

Since 94.

You can do both though. Drinking away at powers while toasting the fellas willing to pay a grand for an award winning single malt… that you wouldn’t open even if you could tell the difference

1 Like

I agree. I buy bottles of whisky here roughly 50/50 between drinking and putting away for a rainy day. Of course it’s not all about investment and wondering if your bottle is €50 more valuable than the year before. Any I’ve bought for putting away is for long term and probably to be given to my children in a will and the hope they’ll buy them something nice some day from the proceeds of selling an old bottle their auld fella bought 30 years earlier.

1 Like

What’s the most expensive bottle that you’ve bought? You better not be talking about bottles of Clontarf.

I’ve probably a dozen bottles of different things bought over the last five years from anywhere from €100 to probably €250 each. Then I’ve about the same again opened but they aren’t all as expensive, some of them yes. A friend of mine has about five bottles plus each costing north of €500 each I’ve bought no individual bottle of that amount.

1 Like

I’ve a colleague with a collection worth five figures.

Now, he’s also constantly drinking expensive whiskeys too. He’s in a whiskey appreciation society (:rofl::joy:) and is constantly buying and selling at whiskey auctions.

Unsurprisingly, the man has no wife or kids so has plenty of time.

1 Like

Had a feed of redbreast 12 yo last night playing cards. Jaysus it’s savage tack.

11 Likes

An incredibly noble drop - without swanning into the top end bottles it’s arguably the King of Whiskies.

3 Likes

You’ll get no argument from me on that score.

I can’t taste the difference in the Redbreast to a bog standard bottle at all. But I can taste a lovely difference in the Black Barrel.

1 Like

I rather Green Spot at that price point.

1 Like

It’s lovely stuff. Definitely the best around that point.

Was it the cask strength 12yr old or normal 12yr old? It’s savage stuff alright the best in the business.

Normal strength. I’d never have got the lads out of the house if I’d opened the cask strength.

1 Like

What were ye playing?

45s

2 Likes

I’d have you more of an album man.

2 Likes

I’d never add the “s” there

1 Like