Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Must be a regional thing. It was always 25s when we were playing at home when I was growing up.

1 Like

Redbreast 12 and Powers John Lane are superior to Green Spot in my opinion at a similar price point.

2 Likes

Teeling Pot Still on the go here. I always struggled to figure out the difference of the different Teeling ones but this one is lovely. Not a Red Breast 12 or Powers John Lane standard but still very nice

1 Like

Have a Teelings on the go here myself. Music on YouTube. Grand evening entertainment

1 Like

Tis good. But tis no 110

Cuvée Argot sounds like an interesting development. Seems like the penny about the limitations of the single farm origin approach is dropping.

2 Likes

Sorry, only saw this question now…

Will write a long post on my own road to whiskey at some point but basically I was never impressed with Midleton. Back in the mid to late 1980s, the brand had a certain profile, yes. Probably the idea was to compete with upmarket Scottish blends. But the whole whiskey situation was just completely different. Pot still had no profile and Redbreast even went off the market for a few years. That disinterest was where good whiskey lay at the time.

Hardly any pubs in Ireland during the 1980s stocked Green Sport. Then again, in fairness, not many cases were produced each year. But one of those pubs, luckily, was Carroll’s in Thomastown. I remember being intrigued by the plain white label and buying myself one at Christmas 1985 or so. Peter’s Pub in Dublin is the only other place I can clearly recall Green Sport behind the counter during the 1980s. So I was delighted, when I went to Galway in September 1991, to find Green Spot on sale in Garavan’s and Tigh Neachtain. Jim Murray describes in his initial book on Irish whiskey coming across Green Spot in Garavan’s and trying a glass for the first time in almost mystical terms.

McCambridge’s in Galway also had an unusually good selection of whiskies at the time and there I bought my first bottle of Green Spot. At the time, I would reckon Green Spot was a third of the price – and maybe a quarter of the price – of Midleton, which was ludicrous but brilliant.

If memory serves, I first tried Midleton in 1986 when I had a part time studenty job as barman/night porter in a Rathgar hotel. To me, the fundamental problem was – and remains – cottony texture and short finish. Midleton is a blend, end of day, and a lot of the early iterations were not as good, really, as Crested Ten – another blend. Nothing over the years has persuaded me to alter that judgement on Midleton in any significant way.

The whole hoohah about collecting Midleton over the last ten years is obviously part of the wider reorientation in whiskey’s fashionability and the increase in distilleries. I have to laugh when you see lads banging on about owning a particular bottling of Fercullen or some such. The whiskey in that bottle? Probably Bushmills.

Anyhow, I am heading off with friends for another French trip in a bit. There is apparently a bottle of Blue Spot waiting for us over in the house.

5 Likes

I don’t want to be that guy Mac but John’s Lane is closer in price to Yellow Spot than Green Spot

I always had the 3 of them in the 60-65 bracket in my head.

Green Spot is 59, Johns Lane is 70 and Yellow Spot is 79 in the airport right now

How much is Redbreast?

64 for the regular 12 year old

Is the Johns Lane nice? I have a bottle here in the old Powers style for the last 7 or 8 years.

It’s lovely yeah. Excellently stuff.

€43 in ASDA.

1 Like

Tesco would have John Lane on special at 60 once or twice a year. That’s what I was going off

I was going off the regular price that it sits at for 330-odd days of the year.

1 Like

Red Spot
Redbreast 15
Powers John Lane

It’s a gift for somebody. Collecting it in airport and these are available

Which would ya pick ?

Redbreast.

2 Likes

Would yous not have a go at it yourselves fellas. 50e for a bottle that cost 3E to make