Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Top, top post…

I’m just finishing the end of my bottle of Jura now. Any recommendations for something new? I love yellow/green spot and like Irish whiskey in general… and I’ve really enjoyed this Jura.

Try Writers Tears

1 Like

Have you had Ardbeg? A bit overly smoky but in a good way. Oban is also excellent but a bit overpriced.

1 Like

Haven’t had it, no… I’m gonna be all over whiskey as we get closer to winter.

As an aside what is it about whisky that brings the best work out of writers?

Ardbeg is fantastic, a bit pricey though. This is tasty

1 Like

The truck load of self loathing.

2 Likes

Varying sources recommend a loaded revolver as an accompaniment to whiskey.

3 Likes

Balvennie

I must say I enjoyed the one glass of Connemara I had.

1 Like

That is a highly informative post @malarkey

1 Like

A post befitting of the finest thread on TFK.

1 Like

Unreal

Thanks for the compliment. The fact that you like both Isle of Jura and Green Spot indicates you have a liking for whisky leading on oak cask/bourbon cask influence. So you should also like Cragganmore and Glenmorangie. Cragganmore, austere and reserved, is a favourite of mine.

If you would like, for a change, to try sherry cask-centered whisky, my strong recommendation would Glenfarclas. Excellent whisky at excellent prices.

To bring the topic back home: Black Bush leads on sherry notes and Powers leads on bourbon notes.

1 Like

Yes, good call. Writers Tears Copper Pot is terrific (and aged solely in American oak barrels, which is smack centre of @anon61956325’s palate). Midleton sell them the malt and the pot still, which is a rare happening.

1 Like

Thanks.

Cheers! As confessed, I could bore for Ireland on the topic…

Someone mentioned Connemara here. I tried it recently. Thought it was fucking disgusting tbh. Way beyond my palette anyway

Great call. Balvenie is gorgeous whisky. Sort of the Cointreau of single malts.

1 Like

“Austere and reserved”. Just like yourself!