Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Ah well, 50 for a 12 yr old. Overall we’re being robbed blind though.

True enough, beats sobriety though

1 Like

We pay $45 for it, so less than 40 of your yokes.

…and hurling, don’t forget hurling.

I’m a big fan of Bulleit, prefer the rye to the bourbon, but both are lovely.

It’s grand. I don’t mind a Jameson an odd time though.

I don’t mind Jameson either with plenty of ice. It’d also be my go to for irish coffees

1 Like

This isn’t bad if you see it around on special offer. Distilled in Kerry somewhere. I’m no expert but there’s a slight scotch kick off the taste. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was an Irish whiskey mixed in with a bit of scotch and put in a fancy bottle. Anyway, like I said it’s not bad.

Laphroaig 10.
Dear Lord.
What would you be bothering with cocaine for?

4 Likes

Would you take your coke laced with peat dust?

2 Likes

I’m phenol for it.

Having a lovely drop of Jura here…

2 Likes

So?

Have had to go back for another couple of drops here … Lovely tack, so it is.

What is it you cunt, never heard of it is it some sort of scotch piss?

I had 6 pints of hopohouse there with the dinner and a double caskmates just now, I’ll have another one now iv had a very very good couple of months business.
Its nice to unwind once or twice a year

4 Likes

It’s a very good island single malt. Lookit, your new to this whiskey lark. The Jameson bottles are grand after pints but there’s whisky/whiskey and then there’s whisky/whiskey.

1 Like

What do you mean ‘single malt’ or will I wait for @Malarkey .
He is the whiskey man around here he got me into it.

There are a few distinctions here. First off, a ‘single malt’ contains the distillate of one distillery alone. The less common ‘vatted malt’ designation is a bottling containing the distillate of two or more distilleries.

Second, there is difference between a single malt and a blend. The latter type contains both malt whisky (distilled in a pot still) and grain whisky (distilled in a patent still). A pot still typically offers higher quality distillate but is more expensive to run.

Third, the term ‘single malt’ is often taken as a marker of quality. Strictly speaking, though, the term is descriptive rather than evaluative. Equally, there are many top class blends. Broadly speaking, the better blends are better because they contain a high ratio of malt whisky (from several distilleries).

Fourth, the term ‘single pot still’ has appeared in recent years as regards Irish whiskey. Single pot stills are essentially the same as single malts, in that both types consist solely of pot still-derived malt whisk(e)y. The difference lies in how the barley is treated before distillation. Whereas single malts are made entirely of malted barley, single pot stills are made from a mixture of malted and unmalted barley. Malted barley is barley that has been moistened and dried before distillation commences. Unmalted barley is barley used in its natural state.

By the way, there is a flavour spectrum perceived as specific to Irish pot still. This spectrum ranges from honey to linseed oil to menthol. These flavours, fostered when the pot still is mainly casked in former bourbon barrels or virgin oak barrels, are believed to derive from unmalted barley.

10 Likes

Superb post.

2 Likes

Thanks… Picked up this stuff as I went along. I imagine information is all there online, if maybe not the finesse about Irish whiskey.

Good Irish blends, such as Powers, obviously have a high pot still ratio, same as Johnnie Walker Gold has a high malt ratio.