Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

I notice an awful lot of lads on here put hapes of ice in their whiskey, I’m not a fan of it.
Some whiskeys change structure with a dropeen of water maybe our man @malarkey can tell us about it.
I was over nighting in cork last week and was down in the bar educating some ignorant cork cunt all about this having seen my new friend Daniel from the whiskey vault talk about it on you tube the night before.
Fucked if I can remember what it was now.

I made a few comments about water or ice in whisk(e)y last Jul 28, back up the thread. Each to their own but I’m not a fan – especially of ice. Then again, there was an interesting comment about the effect ice has on drink.

There are times you don’t want to be thinking too much about what you’re drinking. So I guess ice fits in fine, especially in warmer months, with this picture. Jameson is pleasant but it’s hardly a contemplative drop and probably takes ice decently well.

:confounded:

Ice in whiskey :rofl: - by god.

A drop of water, like a teaspoon, particularly on the stonger cask strength ones takes the burn of alcohol off of them. I find you can actually taste whatever flavours are in them better when you do this. Has to be a right small drop though, otherwise you end up diluting them.

Or just mix them with Blue WKD

6 Likes

Would any of you lads use a decanter or do you just pour from the bottle?

Just drink from the bottle and be done with it

That’s it only a drop literally, something to do with sending the oils to the top so you get an enhanced tasting experience each sip.
Twill be friday unfortunately before I can test this out

1 Like

I’d have at least all the ower endJameson range on the go at any one time so not feasible for me to do a jr Ewing on it.

I like one cube of ice in my Connemara

1 Like

I would decant a vintage port yes.

1 Like

I’d be the same. Takes the edge off.

Exactly

Any decent red I’d decant.

How do you get it back in the box?

I’m talking proper red that you actually have to screw the top off bud.

2 Likes

Most times I wouldn’t bother unless there is likely to be a sediment. Not every red wine improves with decanting

Agreed. Rioja does, and it’s a nice tradition. When I say decent red, I mean sedimented stuff or high end Rioja anyway.
I think a lot of the time really good red needs warming up a little more than anything.

1 Like

Chateau Musar. That’s a wine that needs to be poured off the sediment

1 Like

That the Lebanese wine?