Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Scotch lads. Forget about tbat Oirish pish

1 Like

Welcome back pal

Having a glass of crested to remember yet another good man gone to cancer. Only 51, would have been well known in west limerick hurling and football circles and one of my favourite fellas to talk GAA with. It’s a tough world.

13 Likes

I had to look it up when I saw the age.
I marked him a good few times and would have thought he was older. A good and fair operator on a pitch.

RIP

1 Like

I’m 5nyards from a friend in hand. I think their whiskey is rebottled kilbeggan

A good occasion to open the fathers day present

11 Likes

I’ll be joining you in about ten minutes. Just finishing off my beer here before a generous night cap

2 Likes

Enjoy it you Limerick bollix (same to you @iron_mike).

2 Likes

Sound :+1:

I’ll wait until our championship ends (whenever that will be - could be two weeks time) to have a sup of the good stuff

A small one of black busy, a large one of jw black, a large one of 10 yo bushmills single malt.
I’ll finish now with a small one of talisker 10 and I’ll sleep like a baba.

2 Likes

@Malarkey
A lovely half hour here on waterford that will interest you id say.

1 Like

Thank you, kind sir.

As I might have been the first to say – without having tasted so much as a drop of their distillate – Waterford Distillery will be in the world’s top ten distilleries in ten years’ time.

What they are doing seems remarkable.

Surely heading for the us market. It won’t be cheap.

Do you think they’ll throw any of their stuff into beer barrels?

I think it will be all over, as regards markets. The bottles will be quality but no gimmicks, I would say.

The man behind Waterford is just after starting a rum distillery.

Waterford’s big emphasis is ‘terroir’. So, logically, different finishes will not be a big thing for them. They are casking distillate, in some instances, on an individual farm basis. Not that I ever studied distilling but I imagine putting some of the distillate into virgin oak and some of the distillate into second or third fill casks – so as to minimize traditional wood influence or to minimize wood influence altogether – would be logical. Mark Reynier’s constant emphasis is that whisky can have flavour, through terroir, not driven by cask choice.

1 Like

Would you ask him why they use wood barrels when there’s so much loss. Could they not finish in steel or glass and throw in a few planks or shavings?

Whiskey, to become whiskey, must spend a minimum of three years in an oak cask. This bit is a legal requirement.

A couple of the Method and Madness releases – French Limousin oak, Hungarian oak – exploit different legal requirements about oak between Ireland and Scotland.