Drink Driving

I’ve only been breathalysed once in over 12 years driving, and that was in Australia. I was one of the first around of my mates to be driving, so I invaiably eneded up driving a lot of nights out. Sometimes I could drive 40/50 miles all over the place bringing lads home, and I’d never see a guard.

what they are proposing will mean if you have a few pints of a night out you may as well forget about driving the next day just to be certain, not the next morning the whole next day.

heard a stat on the radio today, cant remember it entirely but basically every traffic cops nails one drink driver a week.
thats not good enough in my mind, i mean we all know where and when you can go if you were a traffic cop who wanted to shoot fish in a barrel which is what they should be doing with drunk drivers, thats drunk drivers not drivers with a pint on board.

The attitude to drunk driving has changed dramatically over the last 3/4 years. To be honest I know very few people who would drive anywhere with anymoer than a couple of pints in them now.

It has really killed the post match pints in the junior soccer of a sunday morning :smiley:

[quote=“HBV*”]what they are proposing will mean if you have a few pints of a night out you may as well forget about driving the next day just to be certain, not the next morning the whole next day.

heard a stat on the radio today, cant remember it entirely but basically every traffic cops nails one drink driver a week.
thats not good enough in my mind, i mean we all know where and when you can go if you were a traffic cop who wanted to shoot fish in a barrel which is what they should be doing with drunk drivers, thats drunk drivers not drivers with a pint on board.[/quote]

The same goes for speeding. Hiding away with a camera at the Spawell there where the speed limit is ridiculously low just to catch a few when the bigger problems are on secondary roads where the speed limit is 80 (about right) and people do ridiculous speeds and cause accidents.

I don’t disagree with any of that, just don’t think that bad enforcement is an excuse to not bother improving things.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Proposals to lower the limit from 80mg to 50mg.

This has had a devastating impact on rural Ireland. The same opportunities to travel are not there as they are in urban areas.

Now that is not to say I would ever condone someone driving who is clearly drunk or even partially drunk, but now I don’t think you can even have one pint and drive which is a ridiculous state of affairs.

My auld fella does drink and drive but never has anymore than two pints if he is driving. He is over the limit technically but he can drive as well as if he had none.

Taxis are not readily available when he leaves a pub, at around 10pm, so what is he meant to do? If he is stopped by the cops then he loses his license for a few years.[/quote]

You say you don’t condone drink driving but then you say it’s grand when yer auld boy does it. Hypocritical imo.

It’s police harrassment

[quote=“HBV*”]what they are proposing will mean if you have a few pints of a night out you may as well forget about driving the next day just to be certain, not the next morning the whole next day.
[/quote]

Sensationalism.

I haev bee breathalised 3 times. Once on a tuesday evening at 6 passing through a rural village. There was a race meeting nearby so that was probably the target.

The other 2 times have been between 12 and 1 on a Sunday afternoon, just outside Kilkenny on the dublin road. They are there every single Sunday, and its nothing short of a disgrace.

Lot of good points on this thread but I’d have to say I probably agree with Rock and Gman.
I really can’t see how the minibus idea isn’t just the solution to the problem. Publicans should buy one if their business is as bad as they say. Then either charge lads nominal fee of 2/3 euro for the lift home or offer it as a free service.
They’d surely pick up a piece of shit of a one fairly cheap second hand. Whatever the price of it’s surely better than going out of business which is what they all claim they’re being faced with.
Haven’t heard a good argument against this yet.

Not sure about this. There is pubs all over the country that would have been open all day every day ten years ago completely empty now. Most pubs in my town dont open till 8 pm during the week, if at all. Trade is fooked, adding cost of bringing fellas home midweek would wipe out any profit on the few pints they would be having.

Mate of mine old fella has a bar and he said mid week you would know before you open who would be in what they would be drinking, probably 1 pint and 1 bottle and home. Not sure if you ever saw the movie garage, but that was bleak because it is a fair representation of Irish country life and wihtout access to the boozer there aint much more to do

[quote=“gola”]Lot of good points on this thread but I’d have to say I probably agree with Rock and Gman.
I really can’t see how the minibus idea isn’t just the solution to the problem. Publicans should buy one if their business is as bad as they say. Then either charge lads nominal fee of 2/3 euro for the lift home or offer it as a free service.
They’d surely pick up a piece of shit of a one fairly cheap second hand. Whatever the price of it’s surely better than going out of business which is what they all claim they’re being faced with.
Haven’t heard a good argument against this yet.[/quote]

Basic idea i have is buy the bus, and service a number of pubs in the 10 mile radius. Get a retainer from publicans, and get the few bob from guys on way home as well.

Can’t really see how it won’t work. Surely aul fellas out the country would love it. They can have five or six pints (none of this one or two bullshit) and be ferried home. Bus trips could be limited to no longer than 30 mins and sure they could have the craic and a bit of shite talk on the bus too.
If the argument against is they can’t afford to pay the few euro for the bus, then the counter argument is they wouldn’t be able to afford to drink no matter how high the drink driving limit is.
It’s worth a try anyway. Drinking and driving is for the dark ages.

Well done Rocko. Drink driving kills, if you do it your a scum bag end of! If you live down the country and can’t have a pint, tough shit, make transport arrangements instead of moaning, it could save your or somebody elses life!

As for the morning after, if your over the limit next morning you shouldn’t be driving either, I won’t even cycle to work the morning after a few pints. Simple solution is not to drink a stupid amount if you’re driving the next morning. There’s simply no excuses lads, and I’m fucking disgusted by the majority of attitudes on here.

I think the limit should stay at 80mg instead of being reduced, however people caught drink driving should face a mandatory prison sentence of 6 months rising to 2 years depending on the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream.

[quote=“BenShermin”]Well done Rocko. Drink driving kills, if you do it your a scum bag end of! If you live down the country and can’t have a pint, tough shit, make transport arrangements instead of moaning, it could save your or somebody elses life!

As for the morning after, if your over the limit next morning you shouldn’t be driving either, I won’t even cycle to work the morning after a few pints. Simple solution is not to drink a stupid amount if you’re driving the next morning. There’s simply no excuses lads, and I’m fucking disgusted by the majority of attitudes on here.

I think the limit should stay at 80mg instead of being reduced, however people caught drink driving should face a mandatory prison sentence of 6 months rising to 2 years depending on the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream.[/quote]

As easy as that?

Many of these people down the country haven’t a person within a couple of miles. Many wouldn’t have family and are living in complete isolation. Most of them are criminally uneducated and fail to possess the intelligence to make transport arrangements - generally not educated in mobile phones etc.

I really don’t get why these auld lads in rural areas can’t have a few cans at home while having a bit of banter with their mates on skype on the laptop or something.

1 Like

:smiley:

[quote=“gola”]Can’t really see how it won’t work. Surely aul fellas out the country would love it. They can have five or six pints (none of this one or two bullshit) and be ferried home. Bus trips could be limited to no longer than 30 mins and sure they could have the craic and a bit of shite talk on the bus too.
If the argument against is they can’t afford to pay the few euro for the bus, then the counter argument is they wouldn’t be able to afford to drink no matter how high the drink driving limit is.
It’s worth a try anyway. Drinking and driving is for the dark ages.[/quote]

y, it will work, no doubt. My only problem is the 10k for the bus. A few of the local publicans have said they’d sign up. The banks aren’t prepared to give money to any new ideas. I haven’t been paid myself in 3 months cos the cunts wouldn’t give me a start up loan, and i have a clean financial record.
Hoping this NAMA thing will see them lend a little.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]
y, it will work, no doubt. My only problem is the 10k for the bus. A few of the local publicans have said they’d sign up. The banks aren’t prepared to give money to any new ideas. I haven’t been paid myself in 3 months cos the cunts wouldn’t give me a start up loan, and i have a clean financial record.
Hoping this NAMA thing will see them lend a little.[/quote]

Have you tried a Credit Union?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]As easy as that?

Many of these people down the country haven’t a person within a couple of miles. Many wouldn’t have family and are living in complete isolation. Most of them are criminally uneducated and fail to possess the intelligence to make transport arrangements - generally not educated in mobile phones etc.[/quote]

So if they murder someone while driving over the limit they should be let off with it because they are uneducated:rolleyes:! Let’s open up the doors of Mountjoy to let convicted murders out so, since the majority of them would be of the uneducated sort.

For fooks sake, they can go to the pub and have a glass of coke if they need to socialize. I also seriously doubt culchies are so thick that they can’t organize a designated driving scheme. Seriously, pull the other one Farmer.

There’s simply no excuse.

Ya, no go, and i’ve been with them for years, have a couple of k saving and i owe them about 3.5k. I thought they’d do it for sure.Know a girl in there and she says they have been told to stop lending for 2009.
I’ll get it alright, one or two of the lads want to invest, but i would like to do it myself.