Drink Driving

You’d have to suspect that a large percentage of people who are banned are driving around regardless. I’d say it’s nearly three years since I was stopped at a checkpoint and I drive over 800km a week. Aren’t most convictions for drink driving 1 year ban and on appeal it’s always dropped to six months.

My job here is done.

Mate, are you more likely to injure somebody if you are drunk driving rather than speeding?

Not in the local papers.
The legal diary for Limerick district does not appear to be online

Or do not be a rat

Do you have a date?

just saw some of the comments here, alcohol is a huge factor still in road deaths in Ireland, and more so than speed according to statistics released. granted, these figures are between 2008 and 2012 and I do believe drink driving is decreasing year on year, but its still a major factor. The example above given of someone who drinks a bottle of whiskey and drives on the wrong side of the road too is far from an accident.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/News-2016/Alcohol-a-Factor-in-38-of-Collisions-Between-2008-and-2012/

366 people lost their lives and a further 69 were seriously injured in fatal crashes where alcohol was a contributory factor

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/News-2016/Excessive-Speed-a-Factor-in-322-Road-Deaths-Between-2008-and-2012/

excessive speed for the road and conditions was a main contributory factor in fatal collisions claiming the lives of 322 people. A further 74 people were seriously injured.

Was speed ever a factor in both?

And do they break down levels of alcohol and time of the day or other such stats?

you’d have to imagine so, and probaly the same for the speeding stats that some of them could have had drink taken too.

and yes, in that link is the full report
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Press%20Office/Fatal%20Collisions%202008-2012_Alcohol%20as%20a%20Factor.pdf

we also need to factor in that a lot more people speed than drive when drunk so you are less likely to cause an accident when speeding

Exactly - Drinking and driving is far more lethal.

so 366 people died on roads due to alcohol between 08 and 12
while 322 people died on roads due to speeding between 08 and 12

drink drivers are social pariahs while every single citizin in this country breaks the speed limit and very few care, in fact if you are speeding and see a speed van the etiquette is to flash the oncoming car so they dont get caught.

its bizarre.

Given that a far greater number of people would break the speed limit than would drive over the limit, you’d have to say drink driving is far more dangerous wouldn’t you?

2 Likes

i would have to say they both claim similar numbers of lives and that one makes you a social pariah the other not so

Of course excessive drink driving is worse than speeding if speeding does not end in death.

But is barely over the limit worse than the risk taking I see every single day??? Because that’s what ye lads seem to be saying?

However the main argument from people here was comparing it to murder or knifing someone. Which is mental on so many levels.

Very very silly argument, very silly indeed.
If you’re asshole enough to drive after 17 drinks would you consider your chances of causing an accident are greater than somebody over the speed limit? Stats seem to suggest so

It’s a scale of culpability and blameworthiness.

3 pints or 200km/h
15 pints or 125km/h
Etc etc

1 Like

300 lives lost through drink driving seem to be more valuable than 300 lost through speeding.
iv exposed a few lads here, fellas scampering around defending speed because they cant see beyond a govenement marketing campaign.
i suspect you are one of theses busy bodies who flashes on coming cars to warn them of up coming speed detection.

1 Like

ok mate, your point has been made

You’re worse for engaging with him. Nobody could be that fucking thick.

2 Likes