Driving-getting started

Finally finally-after annoying delays with loans etc I went out and bought my first set of wheels. Took advice from here and had a look at a couple of Toyota corrollas. Went for a 03 in the end so happy days.

Now for the lessons.

Saloon or hatchback, Pikey?

Hatchback. Silver. 4 wheels. 1 engine.
Soon be bidding adieu to Bus Eireann

[quote=“Pikeman”]Hatchback. Silver. 4 wheels. 1 engine.
Soon be bidding adieu to Bus Eireann[/quote]

They are a good motor. Making around 2k. in this area. Did you get it any cheaper Pikeman?
Best of luck with the driving for the future.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Hatchback. Silver. 4 wheels. 1 engine.
Soon be bidding adieu to Bus Eireann[/quote]

just keep her between the hedges now pike

Thats the secret I hear alright.

Anyone any good places for insurances. Looking around the interweb and fully comp is usually around 2000 mark or more.

Should I go Comp or 3rd party, fire and theft?

Trying to get it sorted before Saturday when I collect my lovewagon.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Anyone any good places for insurances. Looking around the interweb and fully comp is usually around 2000 mark or more.

Trying to get it sorted before Saturday when I collect my lovewagon.[/quote]

ring around lad. contact a couple of insurance brokers as well. and lie like fook when you ring them back.

“oh, 1800. hmm, well Allianz quoted me 1600, could you match them?”
“Hi Allianz, Quinn quoted me 1400, can you match them?”

The bird worked in an insurance place and said they would heap on premiums and could easily knock 200 or more on a standard quote.

Depends what the car is worth, why not get quoted for both and then do the math.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Anyone any good places for insurances. Looking around the interweb and fully comp is usually around 2000 mark or more.

Trying to get it sorted before Saturday when I collect my lovewagon.[/quote]

Sounds hefty but if its your first time getting insured in your own name you will get a bit of a hit alright. If the car is only worth 2k I wouldnt bother my bollocks going fully comp, if you wrap it around something it would hardly be worth losing your no claims for that kind of money.

Shop around as the lad said, also, will work out a good bit cheaper if you tell them it will be parked in Wexford most of the time, premium is loaded in the city as it is more likely to be robbed I assume. there is no way they wil find this out. If it does get robbed ini Dublin you can just say you only brought it up for the one day or something.

Quinn is probably the cheapest to get the disc on the window, wouldnt like to be trying to claim from them though. insure.ie is good for comparison

[quote=“dancarter”]Sounds hefty but if its your first time getting insured in your own name you will get a bit of a hit alright. If the car is only worth 2k I wouldnt bother my bollocks going fully comp, if you wrap it around something it would hardly be worth losing your no claims for that kind of money.
[/quote]

Here pike, dan thinks you’re a tight fucker

Yeah ended up going with Quinn in the end. Worked out cheapest 3rd party, fire and theft.
I know they’re cunts alright but feck it, I need that disc in the window.
A few insurance places didn’t want me at all as I’d no experience
Bought the car for just under 6 grand Dan.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Finally finally-after annoying delays with loans etc I went out and bought my first set of wheels. Took advice from here and had a look at a couple of Toyota corrollas. Went for a 03 in the end so happy days.

Now for the lessons.[/quote]

You’re welcome pikie, hope it goes well for ya.

Was flying around the roads of Wexford over the weekend there for the first time in the car. Amazing how much you improve in a short period of time. Still have a problem slowing down when I have to turn at a crossroads or whatever. Not great at judging it in time really and end up flying into the turn but it should come to me after a while.

Left the car down home to have the NCT done on it but found out the next available date is June due to the new rules. So I’ll be going around for a month with the NCT out of date-surely the Garda will be giving leeway on this as a lot of people are in the same boat (or car).

Getting the motherfuckin bastardinjaysus Bus home tomorrow then will drive up to Dublin very early Saturday morning so keep off the roads around that time lads.

Guards will give you a bit of leeway on that one pikie, unless you come across a complete bollocks like GSH.

Having met GSH I’m pretty sure he’d let me off if I slid a bottle of vodka his way.

My NCT is 23 months out of date and never any bother with it. Keep meaning to get it done but hard to find the time what with trying to fix all this Autolink crap and everything. There should be a blackmarket NCT thing that you can do online and get the accreditation for 200 quid or something. This country needs more entrepreneurs.

Can’t find any other thread for this so will dump it in here.

Got the car insurance renewal in the post today from Hibernian. Renewal was nealry 750 even though they charged me less than 500 last year. Cunts.

Did a bit of shopping online and bestquote.ie have the best quote (surprisingly enough) at just under 480. All the major players (Hibernian, Zurich, Tesco, Allianz, FBD) are all close to 800. Axa were cheaper, as were 123.ie, insure.ie and chill.ie - all around 520 - 550.

Can’t believe there’s such a variance. Have been with Hibernian for over 5 years but I’ll be waving bye bye to them now. Have policies in general all gone up in price?

[quote=“Mac”]Can’t find any other thread for this so will dump it in here.

Got the car insurance renewal in the post today from Hibernian. Renewal was nealry 750 even though they charged me less than 500 last year. Cunts.

Did a bit of shopping online and bestquote.ie have the best quote (surprisingly enough) at just under 480. All the major players (Hibernian, Zurich, Tesco, Allianz, FBD) are all close to 800. Axa were cheaper, as were 123.ie, insure.ie and chill.ie - all around 520 - 550.

Can’t believe there’s such a variance. Have been with Hibernian for over 5 years but I’ll be waving bye bye to them now. Have policies in general all gone up in price?[/QUOTE]

I’d say if you ring them up, ask them what the story is with the increase and do a bit of haggling they usually come down a good bit.
Most of the insurance firms just send out a standard renewal letter but are willing to lower their prices when contacted, well that’s my experience of them anyway.

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]I’d say if you ring them up, ask them what the story is with the increase and do a bit of haggling they usually come down a good bit.
Most of the insurance firms just send out a standard renewal letter but are willing to lower their prices when contacted, well that’s my experience of them anyway.[/QUOTE]

I did that and there was no budging. Apparently the area I live in has a higher risk profile now due to the amount of claims in the area in the past 12 months. Bye bye Hibernian.