Dublin Bay South By Election - Anyone but Mannix

As a matter of interest, what are you defining as a working class constituency?

As backed up by the stats. You have tried to contend this. You have ignored substantiating your contention, you have ignored addressing quesiton, you have failed to establish which seat they hold in a working class constituency, you have ignored the fact that Bacik’s lowest vote count came in working class areas.

So you seem to continue arguing something without anything to base your contrariness off. Why can’t you substantiate what you said?

Low income, urban wards.

Here’s the numbers he posted @croppy_boy . The boxes counted in inner city Dublin. Have a look yourself and see what you think.

As I’ve said before, SF would be wise to put Boylan in a constituency which is not their natural heartland but in which they have a realistic chance of taking a seat next time, so Rathdown or more likely Dun Laoighaire. Quality of candidate makes a big difference if you’re looking to break through. SF could probably stand a traffic cone in Dublin South West next time out and win a second seat.

Bacik’s win may have had little enough to do with Labour but it’s a huge shot in the arm for Labour nationally. Results such as this do a lot to change perception and it sets them up nicely for a better General Election next time around, when 10-12 seats will be a very realistic aim. It’s a bad result for the Soc Dems who will probably leak support back to Labour.

Are you numbers illerate. In a constituency Bacik won overall, she lost the working class wards by a landslide and you think she performed exceptionally in Ringsend?

She got 30% first prefence overall. Yet in working class areas her first preference was down at 15%, yet this was where she performed exceptionally - not in the middle class wards she was hitting > 40% and 50% in? It’s complete and utter stupidity what you are saying.

It’s an interesting one. To my mind Labour have been an part with a split identity since the Dick Spring era, one side middle income types who would like more equality and more liberal policies in Government and on the other side lower income and Union members.

They’ve lost a lot of the former to the Greens and Social Democrats and the latter to SF and the PBP. There’s nothing to say that they can’t get either or both back - Bacik clearly spoke to the middle income unsurprisingly.

1 Like

Assume Social Democrats would have been hoping for a decent showing here

They probably need to appoint another joint leader

So weird, neither Shortall or Murphy seem to want to take the lead. It’ll end up falling to Gannon by default.

Large parts of Ringsend couldn’t be still working class when they got €1m houses for fcuk all ? The ones they’ll sell on and pocket the cash and deny people currently in similar position from getting start they did…

1 Like
10 Likes

I’d say that’s the most likely spot for her. I think her father was born in Iveagh Trust/House in DBS but the family lived/she grew up out around Tallaght. No need to disrupt the O’Broin/Ward ticket in the neighbouring constituency. I’ve said it before that DBN could be an option too. The Stardust families hold her in high regard for her campaigning and assistance in securing a new inquest, but she possibly doesn’t have any other connections to the constituency. There would appear to be another SF seat here though, Denise Mitchell had 20k first preference votes the last time but they didn’t run a second candidate. Sean Haughey is surely vulnerable and Richie Bruton is probably retiring.

Edit: I see @Juhniallio has already made the DBN shout.

1 Like

Cannot believe he’s only 59. Feels like he’s been in his 40s since the early 1990s.

Boylan was the political equivalent of a rugger project player, parachuted in and denying opportunities to local Councillors and activists, although unlike CJ Stander, we’re not talking about a highly decorated project player.

Somebody above wondered why Aontu are correctly classed as far right. It’s because they’re Green Renua. You could call them RAnua.

The party has no future, and with good reason.

your butt?

Phil’s steady hand isn’t just missed in Sandymount. Ireland may never recover from the immeasurable loss of his influence and know how in Brussels.

5 Likes

The sunday indo poll probably has James Geoghegan topping the poll there too.

4 Likes

The short term outlook taken by Varadkar and Co by playing to popular opinion came back to bite them in the arse. Would golfgate been on the electorate’s mind for this election; not a hope

1 Like

The only interesting thing left here is to see what way ff transfers go. Batshit will win but it will get all the way to Boylans elimination I suspect