Dublin GAA Thread

The first outsider Micheal O’Se from Castlegregory was hugely influential in vincents win.

First outsider i think to win a county? Ir maybe even play Senior? Can’t quite remember it.

Should really have got a go with Kerry

not correct , Anthony Gleeson a Kerry footballer from John Mitchels in Tralee played for Vincents in the 1990s. He didn’t win a county though.

Was Ciaran Barr not the first outsider to play with Vincent’s?

That’s what i thought.

Ciaran Barr from ODR and Antrim was the first “outsider” to join St Vincent’s . Created a bit of furore at the time .

@Sidney, do you recall that Ciarán Barr appeared on The Sunday Game once or twice in around 1991?

1 Like

He got some abuse outside Nowlan Park one day for some disparaging comments made about Wexford.

I don’t recall this. What was the context? Was it around the time there was some filthy Wexford-Dublin games?

A Chartered Accountant too no less.

Twas.

1 Like

I do . He really peed off Wexford people with his comments . He was a good hurler and was freakishly strong with a great ability to "win his own ball " .

2 Likes

He sure was . Had a stellar career in finance. He played for ODR in 1989 club final v Buffer’s Alley .

I was at that game. A lovely little family tradition back then was to travel up to the club finals every St Patrick’s Day from Wexford. You’d risk being delayed by the parade in Newtownmountkennedy on the way up. I remember a man from The Burren frightening me one year with his intense shouting and roaring during the football final.

4 Likes

ODR went to Kilmallock and beat Patrickswell in the semi that year .

Barr got an all star in 1988 , the year they lost to Tipp in semi final .

Was he not more of a regular contributor than once or twice? I seem to remember him referring to some outrageously filthy match as a “manly game”.

1 Like

He was very effective in the semi-final against Crossmaglen in Navan - I think Vincent’s got two early goals directly due to his influence.

Like, say Joe Kernan was constantly accused of “recreating an Armagh version of Crossmaglen”?

He was on the highlights panel for the 1990 hurling final along with Nicholas English and was quite scathing of a few Galway players. I don’t recall English providing much insight - he kept laughing and I suspect he had a drink or two on board.

Barr continued to do analysis for a number of years and I can specifically remember him being a regular panellist circa 1994.

Didn’t he live in Sandyford or somewhere way out the Southside?

1 Like

I was at Burren’s two All-Ireland victories in 1986 and 1988. “Shorty” Treanor was the main man. He was one of Down’s main players at the time too. I don’t know why he wasn’t on the Down panel when they won the two All-Irelands in 1991 and 1994, because he came back and played for them as late as 1996 and 1997.

1 Like

Ah yes. Shorty Treanor. Brilliant. :clap:

I think Borrisoleigh defeated Rathnure in the hurling final around that time too. I feel very nostalgic now thinking back to those wonderful days. I remember those black Carroll’s GAA All Stars posters. I had them all stuck up on my bedroom wall going back every year to the start of the scheme. I recall Barr being on the poster but did Olcan McFetridge get one? cc @Ashman.

Kilruane McDonaghs beat Buffer’s Alley in 1986 as well, after Burren beat Castleisland.

I’m sure Buffer’s Alley led by quite a bit but ended up losing by a point or something.