Dublin GAA Thread

So i was close to what i was thinking

I think we can all accept Joe had a significantly better bunch of footballers both in Cross and Armagh than Cuala or Dublin have.

Not sure. Met him a good few times, had a mutual friend and he went and played with UCC. Lovely fella.

Not sure why that matters either. If i remember correctly he was teaching in the area.

1 Like

Think McFetridge go one in 1989 ;

See from 1.07 to 1.15 in this video . A grand wristy hurler with a decent leap .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pS21jA4Ti48

Typical wexford

Did McFettridge score two goals Offaly in that 89 Semi Final? Think his nickname was Klute.
Borris-Ileigh won in 87 with Bobby and Aidan Ryan and Ritchie Stakelum.

Hugh Coughlan played a big role in that all Ireland win also. Got absolutely split in the final and played on.

1 Like

Well before Big Joe took over, Armagh had reached two All-Ireland semi-finals. Dublin hurlers have reached two All-Ireland semi-finals as well.

Because it sort of makes a mockery of the concept of a club if you’re from Kerry, living in Sandyford but playing with a club on the Northside, when there are about 30 other clubs nearer you.

A bit of digging would suggest he was teaching in Benildus, which is far away from Marino.

Joe Kernan took over for the 2002 campaign when Armagh still had most of the personnel that made the semi finals in 1999 and 2000.

Will Dublin hurlers in 2018 have many of the players who made the semi finals in 2011 and 2013?

They should have a few more than they had in 2017 anyway.

1 Like

Utter nonsense from sid

Gleeson definitely kicked ball with them in the 1990s anyway Fagan, he was with Civil Service first and then Vins. Whether he was first , before or after Barr I am not so sure, different codes anyway

First outsider can be looked at from different angles, wasn’t Mickey Whelan a Clanna Gael Fontenoy player before Vins???

Ger Cunningham got lots or criticism , leaving aside whether it was merited or not one thing for sure some of the players that get mentioned that he alienated had not delivered for a while at senior level, were regularly picked by Daly even though form was patchy at best, others mentioned are not even lining out consistently for their club, are in poor form for their clubs or so crocked with injuries they cannot play a full club game. Ger Cunningham can hardly be blamed for culling that brigade. Others yes but not a large proportion of those that get listed

Correct, Mickey was a Clanna Gael player in the glory era in the 60s before the merger with the hurling club Fontenoys.

Tom Humphreys was Vincents

He was a massive organ in the Vincent’s Club

From recollection, Coughlan was far more important to Vincent’s than O"Se was that year. They had another guy, wing back from Mayo, who was a key player too.

Absolutely. Dublin players seem flaky. Thats the hard truth.

i know dubs who felt many of the dub players had it in their head Cunningham was a problem before he even got there. They then fell off like flies at a regimented regeime. When its clearly what they needed in aome fashion.

Not saying Cun ingham was the man, but ironically Gilroy will not take shit in the exact same way. But he is coming in glowing.

No doubt Cunningham doesn’t sell himself well and maybe CB didn’t help in that manner. But alot of fellas would want to look at themselves first.

He may have been over the year, but the game i saw was the final and O’Se destroyed Nemo.

He was technically one of the best fielders of a ball i can remember. Weird but brilliant way of landing in an attacking position even if starting back to goal

You thought Ger C was a good appointment. Forgive me if we take your opinions with a barrel of salt

3 Likes

I woukd have expected his approach might be what the dubs needed.

I never realised they were actually as flaky and weak and lazy as it turns out.

So had i know that then no i wouldn’t have thought him a good appointment.