Dublin GAA Thread

Did Dublin use more than 5 subs? It got a bit confusing with Whelan waddling on and off.

yeah, i thought ryan was completly taken ff at half time but it wasa blood sub

Whelan, Vaughan, Casey, Connolly, McManamon were the subs used so they only used 5. They did take advantage of the blood sub rule by the looks of things!

As I Wexford man, I wouldnt be in any way scared of them for the next game

UP THE DUBS.

Bogmen get out of the way.

[quote=“Flano”]UP THE DUBS.

Bogmen get out of the way.[/quote]

You get to brag to your fellow work chum who has Dessie Dolan wallpaper. http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

From what I saw as I had to dash to work at half time it was a poor enough match and Dublin probbably were lucky enough to come out on top. Improvement shall be needed against Waxford.

Dublin will beat Wexford. Wexford backs won’t be able to hold the Dublin forwards as well as Westmeath did. I can see the Wexford forwards causing a lot of problems for the Dublin backline but the Dubs to win a high scoring game by about 6 points

Wexford have better forwards than Westmeath.

Westmeath have better backs than Wexford.

Stop Dublin scoring goals, and you pretty much have a chance against them as Westmeath showed. Wexford will do alright, but Wallace is there to be absolutely roasted.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Wexford have better forwards than Westmeath.

Westmeath have better backs than Wexford.

Stop Dublin scoring goals, and you pretty much have a chance against them as Westmeath showed. Wexford will do alright, but Wallace is there to be absolutely roasted.[/quote]

I pretty much agree with this and rate John Keane and Damien Healy very highly in particular. That said Westmeath’s collective defensive system and their tendency to drop their entire half forward line back behind the ball makes them difficult to play through and gives greater protection to their defence than most other sides.

We generally play a fairly open and attacking brand of football (Joe Brolly would probably call it naive) and often leave our full back line in dangerous 1 v 1 situations - see Meath game. I was encouraged by the fact we tightened up considerably at the back against Laois without sacrificing our attacking game (16 points from play) and I thought our team selection was spot on.

We benefited from having Howlin and Doyle in midfield with Eric Bradley playing between midfield and the half forward line. David Murphy also played very well at centre back and prevented Laois from marauding through the middle. As a result, we were stronger in the middle third and didn’t allow as much ball go through to the Laois forwards.

The only Laois forward to really damage us was Parkinson and I agree that Wallace’s lack of pace is a concern for the final. He’s an excellent reader of the game and very composed back there but these qualities are negated totally if he doesn’t have the pace to get near his direct opponent. However, I definitely expect Wallace to play as he’s experienced and a leader but I’d prefer if he picked up Mossy Quinn, with Malone taking Brogan and Niall Murphy on Keaney.

As far as I can tell, Quinn isn’t lightening quick and relies more on intelligence and skill and I think Wallace would match up well with him. Brogan would have too much pace for him and Keaney’s pretty quick as well as being strong. But we shouldn’t focus entirely on stopping Dublin as we have forwards who can hurt any team. One other thing I’ll be mentioning in detail in the lead-up to the game is the amount of soft frees Dublin get in Croke Park championship games - it’s ridiculous!

[quote=“Bandage”]I pretty much agree with this and rate John Keane and Damien Healy very highly in particular. That said Westmeath’s collective defensive system and their tendency to drop their entire half forward line back behind the ball makes them difficult to play through and gives greater protection to their defence than most other sides.

We generally play a fairly open and attacking brand of football (Joe Brolly would probably call it naive) and often leave our full back line in dangerous 1 v 1 situations - see Meath game. I was encouraged by the fact we tightened up considerably at the back against Laois without sacrificing our attacking game (16 points from play) and I thought our team selection was spot on.

We benefited from having Howlin and Doyle in midfield with Eric Bradley playing between midfield and the half forward line. David Murphy also played very well at centre back and prevented Laois from marauding through the middle. As a result, we were stronger in the middle third and didn’t allow as much ball go through to the Laois forwards.

The only Laois forward to really damage us was Parkinson and I agree that Wallace’s lack of pace is a concern for the final. He’s an excellent reader of the game and very composed back there but these qualities are negated totally if he doesn’t have the pace to get near his direct opponent. However, I definitely expect Wallace to play as he’s experienced and a leader but I’d prefer if he picked up Mossy Quinn, with Malone taking Brogan and Niall Murphy on Keaney.

As far as I can tell, Quinn isn’t lightening quick and relies more on intelligence and skill and I think Wallace would match up well with him. Brogan would have too much pace for him and Keaney’s pretty quick as well as being strong. But we shouldn’t focus entirely on stopping Dublin as we have forwards who can hurt any team. One other thing I’ll be mentioning in detail in the lead-up to the game is the amount of soft frees Dublin get in Croke Park championship games - it’s ridiculous![/quote]

did you see the frees Westmeath were getting in the 2nd half- Dublin got a lot of easy ones in the 1st half but things evened themselves out by the end of the game

they got some very soft frees in the first half alright Bandage but the softest of all was awarded to Westmeath when Henry was adjudged to have fouled Glennon with about 10 minutes left.

[quote=“Bandage”]I pretty much agree with this and rate John Keane and Damien Healy very highly in particular. That said Westmeath’s collective defensive system and their tendency to drop their entire half forward line back behind the ball makes them difficult to play through and gives greater protection to their defence than most other sides.

As far as I can tell, Quinn isn’t lightening quick and relies more on intelligence and skill and I think Wallace would match up well with him. Brogan would have too much pace for him and Keaney’s pretty quick as well as being strong. But we shouldn’t focus entirely on stopping Dublin as we have forwards who can hurt any team. One other thing I’ll be mentioning in detail in the lead-up to the game is the amount of soft frees Dublin get in Croke Park championship games - it’s ridiculous![/quote]

Ye I think Wexford will match Dublin in the footballing stakes…they have some very good forwards…I think dublin will just be too physically strong for them and will also have more options off the bench to add fresh legs in key areas…I think Alan Brogan will cause wexford defense serious problems…he will be out to prove a point after roasting he got on sunday.Quinn is the footballing brain alright and does sadly lack the pace needed for intercounty corner forward position…i wud have him centre forward because his passing and vision is class.Keaney isn’t that fast but exceptionally strong but totally one-footed.I think Dublin cud have the makings of a very strong half back line from where they cud dominate.

I just hope to god the media talk the shite up out of Dublin so it’ll be all the sweeter when we catch them on the hop. They were expected to walk all over us back in 2005 and were lucky to get out with a win. We’ve improved by about 400% since then while I dont think Dublin have really improved that much at all.

You’re other points may be correct but not this one. Wexford this year are unbelievably strong and physical-this won’t be where the game is won or lost IMO. Wexford also have plenty of options on the bench too so Dubs aren’t ahead on that stake either.
Dublin half back line may be strong but Red Barry will take Cullen to the cleaners I’d say. Moran looks like he’ll be suspended now too.

[quote=“Mac”]I just hope to god the media talk the shite up out of Dublin so it’ll be all the sweeter when we catch them on the hop. They were expected to walk all over us back in 2005 and were lucky to get out with a win. We’ve improved by about 400% since then while I dont think Dublin have really improved that much at all.

[/quote]

i think any chance ye had of catching Dublin on the hop went last Sunday…massive wake up call for Dublin that.

Dont think Dublin were lucky to win in 2005. Upped a gear in last 10/15 mins and won fairly comfortably…i would expect something similar this time

[quote=“Pikeman”]You’re other points may be correct but not this one. Wexford this year are unbelievably strong and physical-this won’t be where the game is won or lost IMO. Wexford also have plenty of options on the bench too so Dubs aren’t ahead on that stake either.
Dublin half back line may be strong but Red Barry will take Cullen to the cleaners I’d say. Moran looks like he’ll be suspended now too.[/quote]

I mean from the point of view that they can hit with the same intensity in the 70th minute that they can in the 1st and are very strong in the tackle…I think that has helped Dublin win leinster the last few years in games where teams have stayed with them for periods through football but just couldn’t handle the physicality for the full 70…Laois being the perfect example.Has moran been cited?Don’t agree with wexford’s bench being as strong as Dublins…time will tell…Red Barry could destroy cullen alright…but will cullen follow him…its catch 22 for cullen… he needs to hold the middle to give McConnell some protection…god knows he needs it and Cullen didn’t do him any favours in first half on sunday by taking off.

Thats one way of viewing it, the other is that this Dublin team is overhyped and has reached the end of the road. Look at the state of Ciaran Whelan as he came off the pitch in the second half, he looked shattered. Westmeath knew how to contain Dublin and show up their weaknesses, they just left their scoring boots at home. If there had been another strong team in Leinster over the past 5 years this Dublin team wouldnt have won a thing. They’re like the English soccer team, hyped up by the local media and all the bandwagon fans etc. They’re a decent team but no-where near as good as they’re made out to be.

Think you were watching a different game to me. They were outplayed for 55 - 60 minutes of the game completely. Wexford had never played a game at that intensity before and the legs went from them towards the end. 4 points I think it was in the end which I wouldnt call comfortable. Wexford lost it more so than Dublin winning it.

Crazy talk. If there was another decent Leinster team Dublin wouldnt have won a thing. Fact of the matter is that there isn’t and hasn’t been.

Up the Dubs

Think Westmeath did us a favour by showing us exactly where Dublin’s weaknesses are.
Get the ball quick into our full foward line and it’s, as we say in scalder land
“see ya ahter, san” to the Dubs.

[quote=“Flano”]Crazy talk. If there was another decent Leinster team Dublin wouldnt have won a thing. Fact of the matter is that there isn’t and hasn’t been.

Up the Dubs[/quote]

Leave the bogball discussion to the bogmen flano.

I’m a bandwagon jumper. I actually watched the match :eek: