Dublin Pubs - Hall of Fame

Devitts went to shit when they “did it up” a few years ago. Ruined the place.

Everything was better in the old days

1 Like

Same as Ryan’s so

Cassidys it is.

I think Mr Devitt was a Limerick man and he had a partnership with Andy Bran in the Two Sisters in Terenure.

Mr Devitt’s family took over that pub around about when I left the area back around 2008. They turned it from an old style boozer to be food orientated etc.

They sold Devitts in recent years I think to the crowd that has now sold it again.

I was never in Devitts much. Ended up in there the night before an All Ireland one year, maybe 2016, and it was wedged of course. I recall a shortage of glasses and the barman running dirty ones under a tap and then filling pints.

2 Likes

A lot of lads here guilty of living in the past.

Devitts is a noble establishment and in its current form is one of the best pubs in the city. The music upstairs 7 nights a week (but particularly Sunday when The Solid’s play) is simply excellent.

Like any great pub, its at the corner of two streets which I’m sure boosted its value by a few million.

Pubs that attract students can never be considered noble

It doesn’t attract students in the same way as Ryan’s would.

Not even close.

They still get their fair share given the location. You’re point regarding music also nullifies the argument; that should be far down the list of any conditions for a pub to be considered noble. The quality and price of the pint and the quickness of the service are tantamount, as well as ease of getting a place to sit, the friendliness of the locals and the ease with which conversation flows.

Serving food is frowned upon too, with the exception of a toasted sandwich

:smiley:

3 Likes

I totally disagree with you.

For anyone between 25-35, Devitts is the pub in Dublin at present.

It seemed to be an Offaly pub when I was in Dublin.

Mr Devitt is quoted as saying he was left with no option but to sell up the building to a developer who plans to build a hotel on site: "the rise in the cost of doing business, coupled with clay court blitz, microwave split season championship has simply made the pub trade unsustainable ".

8 Likes

Willie had it for years. Late 70’s, Early 80s I’d say. Was always a Limerick pub but there was always a great mix of folk in there from all over. The chef was from Kerry. A contrary fucker who was easily wound up.

1 Like

You’ll get some shock when you go in and see Paddy Kehoe holding court in there 6 nights a week

I’m only in there Sunday evenings and not at any sort of great Frequency unfortunately.

Paddy annoyed me enough one evening in bugys in Paris to do me a life time.

2 Likes

He’s a regular in there. Very good mates with Jamesy

Mad Dog has a share in Cassidy’s now - bought out Jamesie

Johnny Adair?

1 Like

Even more crazy

Go on.