Dublin Pubs - Hall of Fame

I watched the France v Morocco World Cup Semi Final there last December.

I thought it was a noble pub at the time but it is an official Kilmacud Crokes* Tavern so I’m not sure I could go in there, in good conscience again after what has happened since.

1 Like

The lads going run it now will run a good ship but I doubt it would be a place many for United would enjoy bar the younger posters.

They are putting up pop up bars all over dame street for the American football

When they heard I lived in Galway they tried to sign me.

2 Likes

have been in Neerys , Bruxelles & Gaffneys in recent weeks

all great although bruxelles was later in the night after the shrooms kicked in

5 Likes

They must be breaching some trade mark law!

They have taken over Becky Morgan’s. A significant change in ambience I reckon

A little different alright

When did The Baggott Inn close? Is that not where Xico is now or beside it?

My ratio of time spent on Camden Street to Baggott Street would be 20:1 I’d say.

Xico is closed

1 Like

It never recovered from mcgregor and his goons setting up shop in the handicapped toilets.

Is Louis Fitzgerald involved in the Baggot Inn? I am targeting the question at you Spidey as I’d say you’d know about these things.

:flushed:
No - xico was owned by alan Clancy. I assume he’s doing a deal with the storyteller lads or they’re going to run this new baggot inn for him

1 Like

And was the previous incarnation of the Baggot Inn also owned by him? Basically what was there before Xico?

Jack Charlton had a stake at one stage, didn’t he?

The building that housed the Baggot Inn was demolished about 20 years or more ago I’d say. The pub itself had been closed for a good number of years before that.

I was never in the Baggot Inn (I was in the thing that replaced it once, in early 2011 and actually had a very good time there but didn’t like the place itself - if I remember rightly they were experimenting with self service pints, an idea which turned my stomach) but I know it was a fairly legendary venue in its time. Jack Charlton did indeed have a stake in it and it was called “Big Jack’s Baggot Inn” for a time in the 1990s.

The notion that there could ever be a Baggot Inn after the building was demolished is fantasy.

Incredibly I’ve never been in Toner’s of Baggot Street. I’ve crossed Neary’s, the Lord Edward and Byrne’s of Galloping Green off my bucket list this summer so Toner’s is definitely going on there along with The Oval and The Confession Box.

Top of my Galway bucket list of pubs I haven’t been in is the almost identically named Tonery’s.

I’ve been in Toners, Nearys, The Oval and The Confession Box.

I have a vague recollection of being in The Baggot Inn around 07/08. Was it down steps and fairly modern inside? Or was that a newer incarnation?

Newer incarnation. There were a lot of steps in the place if I remember rightly.

Back in the day they used to say that the true Dub had never been up the pillar. Dublin has so many pubs that it’s almost impossible to have been in them all (or all the ones worth being in) unless you consciously decide you want to go all of them, like those weirdos who try to visit all 92 Football League grounds. Smyth’s of Haddington Road is another one I haven’t been in. I’m sure there’s plenty more I can think of which I haven’t been in and are worth going to. Stoneybatter for instance has a clatter of pubs but I’ve only ever been in Kavanagh’s there. Inchicore has a clatter of pubs and I’ve only ever been in one of them, Coffey’s (I think RIP).

This was the original Baggot Inn. Google says it closed as far back as 1995. I had had in my mind that survived until about 1998.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0708/1152049-the-baggot-inn-closes/

This here implies it shut around 2000 and says the original building was demolished in 2001. Maybe it initially closed and reopened. But what was there after the original building was demolished was not the real Baggot Inn.

Used to be a great pub in 1980s and 1990s. Might still be. Have not been in for ten or more years.

1 Like

Have you ever been in Hughes’ behind The Four Courts? Looks like a grand little local boozer