Dublin Pubs - Hall of Fame

I remember whatever version of the Baggot Inn that was there in late 1999 was apparently the only spot in Dublin showing the away leg of the Euro 2000 play-off in Turkey. The Turks refused to entertain selling TV rights to Irish or other foreign broadcasters &, whether via Jack Charlton’s connections or otherwise, the pub has access to the game via some dodgy satellite dish or something. It was the game we drew 0-0 but went out on away goals & Cascarino was battered by riot police & opposition players after the game. A terrific strike by the great Robbie Keane had given Ireland the lead in Dublin & we deserved to be more ahead until Lee Carsley (I think) gave away a handball penalty. I listened to that second leg in an apartment in Belgrove UCD residences while drinking cans of Dutch Gold.

2 Likes

No, good call, will put it on the extended bucket list.

1 Like

Fairly sure there were a good few locals around Dublin showing it on whatever dodgy boxes or satellite boxes were around at the time. I’m 99% sure The Silver Granite near me showed it but I wasn’t there. This is a pub that managed to get Primal Scream to play in it so I’ve no doubt they were able to manoeuvre a satellite dish.

1 Like

I was in legs last weekend.

It must have an awful seethy history.

They don’t really serve beer in there.

Who actually owns it? That old woman is still going. It must be worth a fortune but they surely make fuck all.

I saw something to say that the recently shut KBC Bank on Baggot Street was the home of the original Baggot Inn - whether that’s the new building after it was demolished I don’t know.

I always thought the ‘new’ Baggot Inn was the ‘old’ Baggot Inn. The steps down lent itself to a gig vibe I felt but I was completely wrong.

The baggott inn was where Xico is now but the bank is a part of the same site.

Xico was an underground spot. Alan Clancy had it.

Correct. The Baggot was on that corner. You went in that little lane where that kebab hut was/is. It was primarily a music venue in its day. It was never a great pub per se. Moving Hearts played there a lot. They had a reel on their 1985 album The Storm called the staff in the Baggot. It was an important venue for that wave of post U2 Irish Bands like Blue in Heaven and Cry Before Dawn. Famously David Bowie played there with his Tin Machine band in 1991.
My memory of it was that it was always grotty

3 Likes

That makes the best venue.

I saw Ty Segall in the Tivoli shortly before it was demolished. Great gig.

There’s something a little creepy about Baggott Street alright.

I don’t see the attraction with Toners/O’Donogues/Doheny&Nesbitts/McGrattans at all.

4 Likes

Agreed

Toners is a great pub, the rest you listed are meh alright. Donoghues is a kip of a place.

Dohenys is for lads in their late 40s plus. Titans of industry or lads that like to think they are at least

1 Like

I suppose it did used have a pub called Larry Murphy’s.

2 Likes

Titans of the Civil Service.

10 Likes

Toners is effectively a big smoking yard. Nothing sucks the life out of a pub like a big, decked out smoking area outside.

You need to make sure all the craic is happening inside, rather than outside a pub.

I’d love to be a Titan of the Civil Service.
A PO on an old contract and pension.
Not giving a flying fuck about anything.

5 Likes

David Davin Power would be propping up the bar in there

I was disappointed when I found out it was “David Davin-Power” rather than “David Davenpower”, as I used to imagine his name was spelled/spelt when I was a young fella.

That’s an age thing and city/country thing really.

Ismael is a Dublin institution.

That laneway is a serious missed opportunity. It’s rank.

Is it still going?

1 Like