Dublin

Some good progress here of late on the Magazine Fort project. Phoenix Park being an actual tourist destination (other than the Zoo) is a good thing.

Should be decent symmetry with the Irish War Memorial Gardens once the bridge is completed.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/ce8c5-minister-odonovan-announces-plans-for-magazine-fort-in-the-phoenix-park/

Haven’t been there in years. Used to be disgusting - littered with used Johnnies.

The plans are lovely. Great for the Park.

A great hub of culture and tourism around there with the Gaol and IMMA too.

IMMA is great

I’ve a real soft spot for Dublin as a capital. It has its problems but so does pretty much every capital city in the developed world.

Tonight I hummed and hawed between driving down or getting a bus to Dublin for a gig. As happens, my bus never showed up and one heading into Dundalk did so I took the train down (€15.75 one way, €17.05 day return). As I’ve previously stated here, the train from Drogheda to Connolly is majestic, especially as it hugs the Fingal Riviera. I watched the first half of the u20 final on the phone on board.

On arrival to Dublin, the fat bastards running Google Maps estimated a 30 minute + walk up to Whelan’s. Bollix says I, and I figure out it’s around 20 minutes. I get in for a gig around 8:40ish and manage to fire away 6 or 7 pints of Tuborg. €5.50 a pint and utterly drinkable. A great night watching a band I love and then I got to bail around half 11 to make the last train home.

The walk back to the train confirmed my gra for Dublin. As aforementioned, it’s got its problems. Poor divils in tents outside The Irish Times, as an example. Power walking down (made it back to Connolly in under 20), I whacked arms off a younger fella. “Sorry”, says I. “No worries”, he retorts.

I never lived in Dublin but I’ve spent some amount of nights there. Sleeping on floors, couches or the occasional night in a bed, recent years mean I get home at the end of the night. I had no real interest in living here until I hit my mid twenties, at the height of Celtic tiger, where it just wasn’t feasible.

Anyway, I haven’t a clue what I’m rambling about but I see a lot of criticism of Dublin as a city, but I must say I always get giddy as I walk through it of a weekend

25 Likes

Dublin bikes could have helped you out rightly

2 Likes

Greatest city in the world for a few pints. Nowhere is comparable.

3 Likes

Hadn’t even thought of it actually but I love a brisk walk.

Great banter on the train back actually. We are talking about the Bering Strait, a subject matter that I’m very interested in

2 Likes

Cool. Banter and the strait

“people of Dublin… I love you”

1 Like

Ah the big qualifier.

Grand spot to watch a match and have a few pints with lads from your or the opposing county.

Grand spot to get a flight away from it.

On its own I’d argue the most over rated city in Europe. Maybe the world? Has nothing going for it that galway or Cork don’t have too. And they have way less of the negatives Dublin has.

Cork is a fine city. Galway is a big town. The finest

You are a positive guy and one of the few good ones on here, so deserve plenty of leeway. But you were in Montreal before if I’m right? What does Dublin have that Montreal doesn’t. Other than hurling and football matches.

Montreal is phenomenal. Spent a little over two months there. My regret is I didn’t stay longer.

Maybe I’m naive and see the best in everywhere (bar Edmonton) but I love a night in Dublin.

I’m home now and must sleep :smile::rofl:

2 Likes

You’re one of the good guys

Galway “city” is just Temple Bar a bit more spread out.

What else does it have?

Cork obviously has a bit more going for it as it’s bigger but you’d be done in half a day.

Cork is a town too

A town with mighty hills

In town there. Went to see the Portal thing out of curiosity. Nice thing. Good vibe around it.

1 Like

Chortle at the Portal.