Early Risers Club - A sneak peek into Corkie’s work practises

Just enroute to Venice now on the train. Delighted to see a few lads already have 3 hours internetting done while the layabouts are swanning around Europe on tax payers money and the proceeds from the odd burglary.

14 Likes

What was odd about this one mate?

I didn’t leave a shite as my calling card.

2 Likes

How will people know the shitting bandit has struck again then?

1 Like

The Phantom Shitter

Was in bed at 11 last night. Took melatonin GABA and glycine. Woke up at 6.15, Espresso huel and in gym by 7. I’ll do 60 minutes now and then have a coffee.

Day nearly over and lads only rolling out of the scratcher.

1 Like

I’d use the 5am to 5.15am slot to say a few prayers, show a bit of gratitude and plan out the day as much as possible but I’d always round off the 15 minutes by saying to myself… There is nothing certain but the uncertain.

7 Likes

What’s the recommended amount of sleep for elite athletes, kev?

There’s no fear, regret or self loathing here mate, which is why I’m able to sleep the sleep of the undisturbed.

What’s really terrifying is the thoughts of a load of sleep deprived lads going around the place in cars

Fibbers Phantom Shitter?!

At least @Bandage is unlikely to be driving it.

1 Like

When you wake up in the morning you have two choices; go back to sleep and dream your dreams or wake up and chase your dreams.

Cc @Tassotti

4 Likes

Are you just lazy?

I’m a divil for work. Which is why I need a full night’s sleep.

I love waking up refreshed in the mornings in my own time. Lads setting alarms are mugs

2 Likes

Cheers for that hallmark! :joy:

It varies as people are different but 7-9 seems to be needed by anyone with high CNS stress

1 Like

This I agree with. Takes a bit of time to train the body that way though.
I set an alarm but rarely need it

At his peak, Michael Phelps slept for 8 hours a night with a 2-3 hour nap in the middle of the day. He put a lot of success down to the amount of sleep he got.

2 Likes

Well yknow, that and his perfect physiology for swimming.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised

Although there were not significant differences in baseline testing between the groups, after 14 continuous days of sleep restriction, the data showed significant changes in test result across the groups. As predicted, those with only 4 or 6 hour of sleep had lower scores on all testing, including lapses of attention, reduced cognitive thought, slowed working memory, depressed mood, and delayed reaction times [15]. However, those who obtained 7 hours of sleep or more had no significant difference in test scores, which may infer that 7 hours of nightly sleep may be all that is needed for optimal performance. After 3 days of sleep restriction of 4–6 hours, some of the subjects exhibited the same decreased reaction times and cognitive dysfunction as displayed in subjects that had been observed in testing total sleep deprivation. What is interesting is that at the end of the study, the sleep-deprived subjects did not reliably report feeling sleepy after chronic sleep restriction for 14 days. The authors felt that once sleep restriction becomes chronic, subjects were not able to reliably introspect with regard to their actual sleepiness; they were not self-aware of their deficiencies. The effects of sleep restriction raises concerns for occupations that require high level cognitive performance at critical times, especially in potentially dangerous or life threatening situations such as healthcare workers, military personnel, or space flight.

Anything less than 7 hours and you may as well not go to sleep

1 Like