Eircom Problems

[quote=“The Runt”]

You should change the settings on your router to use OpenDNS (free DNS servers) as opposed to Eircoms one.[/quote]

Did this last night and it worked. :wink:

I have Sports and their NTL+ thing.

It was a bit behind Sky+ at the start but it’s catching up. They’ve recently added Series Link (think that was more about imposing the EPG on the stations they carry as opposed to tech problems) and they have dual recording sort of there but it still needs a bit of ironing out.

Really they’re minor enough issues for 95% of users and other than those it works very well. Menu interface is probably better than Sky’s now actually.

They’ve shit loads of work to do in bringing the Chorus side up in line with the NTL side but they have a very good service now if they can deliver it where needed.

anyone having bother tonight lads?

Thought I had there but seems ok now.

Anyone having problems tonight. Couldnt get on the Internet for 15 mins.

My internet was acting the cunt all yesterday evening.

[quote=“Rocko”]I have Sports and their NTL+ thing.

It was a bit behind Sky+ at the start but it’s catching up. They’ve recently added Series Link (think that was more about imposing the EPG on the stations they carry as opposed to tech problems) and they have dual recording sort of there but it still needs a bit of ironing out.

Really they’re minor enough issues for 95% of users and other than those it works very well. Menu interface is probably better than Sky’s now actually.

They’ve shit loads of work to do in bringing the Chorus side up in line with the NTL side but they have a very good service now if they can deliver it where needed.[/QUOTE]

You’re deluded Rocko, the NTL offering is vastly inferior to the Sky offering. Double recording only works if you switch off the box. The menu is slow, you can only what’s on next on a channel when flicking through the stations. It’s rubbish.

Apparently the internet is fucked today.

Eircom to trial ultra fast broadband

Eircom is investing €20m in a trial to see how consumers and business take to ‘ultra fast’ fibre broadband. This would allow much faster broadband speeds of up to 150 mega bits per second.

The trial, to take place early next year, will deliver fibre broadband to 10,000 homes and businesses in Sandyford in Co Dublin and in Wexford town.

Eircom is also allowing its competitors access to the technology in the hopes that the trials will lead to them jointly building a fibre based network around the country.

The company aims to assess what it will cost to build the new generation infrastructure, and to understand how customers will interact with it, which services and applications they like and how it changes their habits.

‘This investment underlines Eircom’s commitment to test new technologies at scale and will help determine the technological requirements and regulatory frameworks that are necessary across the whole country in support of the future economy for Ireland,’ commented Eircom’s CEO Paul Donovan.

Bandage should have no problems internetting from pubs soon enough.

I’m thinking of ditching ntl for sky. My ntl service was fucked for the best part of a week and is just back to normal today. Any clear advantages that make it worth the hassle?

Well in the 8 years I’ve had Sky I’ve never had one issue that could not be fixed right away.
With NTL I was waiting for ages on phones and then had to take half days for lads to come out to the house then tell me that they were at the house and no answer and it’s my tough luck.

If sky and all the other lads went out of business and NTL/UPC were the only ones left I would throw out the TV and watch the fireplace for a couple of hours in the evening.

Ah, a nice fire.

T.

Eir are some cluster fuck of a company.

I moved out of my house for a few months while work was going on and transferred my account to the rental property. It was a pain in the hole of an ordeal, which involved 4 visits from engineers, on two of those occasions they had to leave again because they had been given incorrect information and weren’t equipped for what they needed to do. Eventually got it sorted and after much dispute they refunded me €175 due to the delay in transferring the account meaning I had been paying despite having no access to the service.

I moved back into the house and transferred my account back over and all was pretty seamless. They signed up to some talk & broadband bundle on a discounted rate of €45 a month. Apparently they insist on your taking a landline package for a new connection. Guy came out with a router and set me up, all good.

Then I got a letter in the post last month to say my subscription price when I came off introductory offer would be €75 a month, but as they were changing the terms of my contract I was free to leave. I rang them up and they offered to move me to a broadband only package which would be €50 a month. Grand I said. They sent me out a new router in the post, and incorrectly set my bill up at €53 a month.

Then bizarrely someone from the landline division in Eir rang me yesterday, said they were sorry that I was leaving and they would offer me the unlimited talk & broadband package for €40 a month for 12 months (12 month contract). So I agreed to that and now they’ve sent me out another router in the post this morning. So now I’ve been sent 3 routers I don’t need, they are getting less from me per month, and the girl on the phone probably gets paid her commission for doing so.

3 Likes

I’m currently embroiled in a contractual dispute with them. I’m highly confident of winning as my record in consumer litigation affairs is a perfect one.

1 Like

They’re savage bad alright. I had similar issues bar the moving out part. It was a real ordeal in getting rid of the landline which we didn’t want and getting upgraded to fibre broadband which was weirdly not available in our building for ages.

We never had a phone set up on the landline number we were initially assigned yet they insisted on trying to contact that us on that number. This was despite us giving them our mobile numbers around a dozen times and asking on each occasion for them to be input on the system as the main/only contacts.

They put you hold and then cut you off and all that lark. It’s actually gas.

It would appear to me that the landline division & broadband division are separate and in essence competed against each other to get me the best deal. Or perhaps they receive some subsidy from the Government based on the number of landlines they have?

They’re fucking woeful alright. Sky are definitely best at the whole customer service lark but they’re only reselling the same package and nobody needs to be paying for their tv packages anymore.

I’d an ordeal about getting Eir in recently but only after Vodafone made a miserable job of doing the same work and Virgin tried to hit me with a bill for not giving them back a box from 10 years ago.

This is the essence of my dispute. I told the operator if he wanted a box that I’d give him one.

3 Likes

Go on mate, tell us all about your dispute.

All you need to know is that he’s right and they are wrong.

1 Like

Lies.

As you’d have any idea what to do with a virgin box.

1 Like