Electricians

Agree with that, was with a guy yesterday who owns a refrigeration company. Heā€™s keeping lads going on repair and maintenance work. Nothing in sales he was saying. Youā€™d hear alot of things like that. Landscapers doing ok apparently, with people doing up homes as opposed to moving on.

There is for repairs etc. Thats what iā€™ve heard now fran, iā€™m sure it changes from person to person and from place to place. Some guys are delighted to hide behind the recession thing, excuse for doing f-all.

You can get tradesmen for 100euro day works at the moment Kev, surely replacing 3-4 old light fittings wouldnt take a day?

I had a chippy in doing my house when I was renovating it and it was ā‚¬100 a day and this fella was top class. He did a heap of donkey work that I never asked him to do and granted he probably made an extra few weeks work for himself I wasnā€™t complaining because everything he did was inch perfect and a general labourer would probably have been looking for more.

No, your right there, 2-3 hours iā€™d say, max.

100 a day is good money these days IMO.

Definately, when you consider its more often than not cash in hand.

Carpenters are the best tradesmen generally i think, they actually have to have a fair amount of skill, and they tend to be able to put their hand to anything.

Youā€™ll find most building contractors are chippys by trade, tis rare youā€™d see a sparky or plumber or even a plasterer turning into a full building contractor.

Cowboys Ted

Im guessing yer a carpenter or tradesman of some sortā€¦,answer me this?.Im in the middle of building a two room extension onto the side of the house,its a study and big sunroom sort of thing,i have it chased but have no wiring done,how much should i be paying for 1st fix wiring roughly?

ā‚¬455

Good man County id be happy eneogh with that figure.

How many sockets, light switches, I presume its a sloped ceiling in the sunroom how many recessed lights going into it?

Something like thatā€¦

Itā€™s very hard to say without knowing exactly whatā€™s going in but it shouldnā€™t be too far off what NCC suggested if itā€™s a standard power & lighting installation. If you start putting in a lot of fancy light fittings or spotlights it might cost you a little more.

How long so you think it should take?

I know what Fran does and it is neitherā€¦

Thanks for that Dunph i was about to give him a twist on a bit of work there but for your interception.

There wont be a sloped cieling in the sunroom,12ft straight cieling,theres a good few switches and spots etc in this,at ā‚¬500 id be paying for all the wires and fittings for the 1st fix id imagine?

:o

Dunph - Stalker

Lads, hate to revive a 9 year old topic but thereā€™s been a little incident. Iā€™m calling the forum electricians.

I live in an apartment, mid-90s build, I moved in a few months ago, Iā€™m the owner. I came home from work this evening to hear an alarm going off somewhere in the building. Turned out it was coming from my apartment. All the lights were switched off and nothing had been taken, the apartment was exactly like when I left this morning. There is a little unmarked white box beside the fuse box and thatā€™s what the really loud alarm sound was coming from.

I experimented with the fuse box, switched off the fuse that covers the living room and bathroom lights and that stopped the alarm from going. Every time I switch that fuse back on the alarm starts again.

I presume this is just an alarm to tell me a fuse has gone and to warn me the house is about to burn down? I should just call an electrician to come some time next week? Itā€™s slightly odd though because the lights that this particular fuse covers are all working just fine.

Very annoying because I was going to paint the bathroom this weekend and now thereā€™s no light in there.

Why would you have an alarm to tell you youā€™d blown a fuse? If the fuse was gone would the power not be gone to the area?
Put up a picture of the box

Thatā€™s what I was wondering as well. The other thing it could be is thereā€™s a built-in burglar alarm in the apartment but Iā€™ve never set it and I didnā€™t set it this morning either. Very strange.

The battery is gone on the alarm.

Talk to the MA