Energy Crisis

For fuck sake. And whilst still making profits, find enough to keep gouging us. So i wonder will the 10s of millions be factored into upcoming prices? :thinking:

I saw a 149.9 last night for Diesel. First time seeing it in the 40s in a long time. We must be due a tax increase soon

2 Likes

What’s the cheapest option for energy bills these days, lads?

Although you usually sign up for 12 months & they increase tariffs anyway.

Please bear in mind also that I want to give my business to a company with a commitment to fulfilling their ESG obligations.

Bonkers.ie do a compare thing for that.

1 Like

The 15c ‘emergency’ reduction has to go back onto the pump price soon?

It is between now and August, the first increment is due soon

It’s as low as 137.9 in at least one Texaco that I know of. It crossed my radar no later than this morning.

Id say the tanker arrived around 2am on saturday night.

There you are for you, I knew I’d seen it… An incredible price and it Texaco and all.

1 Like

Braindead Eamonn strikes again. We’ll be paying 3 times the price for offshore wind energy as the Scots will. The green con-tinues.

ENERGY
Irish auction set to be world’s most expensive for offshore wind energy
The price tag is expected to be close to €150 per megawatt hour, which is three times more expensive than the latest sale in Scotland and far higher than other European countries
LORCAN ALLEN
MAY 7, 2023

Ireland is set to unveil the world’s most expensive offshore wind prices this week when the government announces the results of its first ever offshore wind energy auction.
Industry experts believe the results of this very first offshore renewable energy subsidy auction, known as O-RESS 1, will deliver average prices close to the €150 per megawatt hour (MWh) price cap, which is more than triple the price of offshore wind in Scotland and considerably higher than other European countries.
If this bears out, the energy generated by the first wave of offshore wind farms in Ireland will be anything but cheap for consumers and will be on par with the unprecedented price of electricity last winter, which was made so expensive by record high gas prices.

In Scotland, the latest offshore wind auction delivered projects at below €50/MWh – less than a third of the price Ireland could end up paying.
Although €150/MWh is just the price cap figure and will not necessarily be the final cost that emerges from the first O-RESS auction this week, it does set a certain price expectation for the supply chain and will influence auction bids.
On Thursday this week, Eamon Ryan, the Climate Minister, will announce the results of the first O-RESS auction. The six energy companies that submitted bids to the auction will find out if they have been successful at winning state support for their respective projects.
Between them, these six projects have the potential to deliver more than 4,000 megawatts (MW) of renewable offshore wind power.

Certainty
They include the 1,500MW Codling Wind Park off the coast of Wicklow, the Oriel wind farm being developed by ESB and Parkwind, and the North Irish Sea Array being developed by Statkraft.
The Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) published a technical note last week, which suggests the state is likely to subsidise around 2,800MW of offshore wind projects under the first O-RESS auction.
Once the outcome of this week’s O-RESS auction is revealed, offshore wind developers will have more certainty on their business model and a guaranteed revenue stream once the project is operational.
The auction results will allow energy companies to sign off on procurement deals with supply chain partners such as turbine manufacturers, port operators and engineering firms.
However, none of the six offshore wind projects that have submitted bids to the first O-RESS auction have planning permission for their respective wind farms.
It’s understood the successful developers in the auction will move quickly to submit planning applications for their projects with An Bord Pleanála.
It’s unclear how long it will take the planning authority to process these applications, which are highly complex and detailed.
The government has set a target of having 5,000MW of offshore wind capacity installed by 2030 and 37,000MW by 2050

Eamon will need to hire another few advisers to figure this one out

Explain please @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Sure mate

Across europe wind auctions are failing as the price cap is too low and developers cant make it work so they dont enter the market

Why can they do it for a third of the price in Scotland?

@ceist are costs associated with developing offshore wind farms prohibiting investment in developing them?

There are high costs associated with developing offshore wind farms, which can make it challenging for investors to enter the market. The initial investment in the infrastructure, such as turbines and transmission lines, is high. However, once the wind farm is operational, the ongoing costs are relatively low, which makes offshore wind farms an attractive investment for those who can afford the initial capital expenditure. Additionally, government incentives and policies can help to make offshore wind farms more financially viable.

Should Ireland not be using all this tax revenue to build off shore state owned wind farms

2 Likes

Who would build them mate?

@Ceist if i answer a question and then the person who asked the question then goes to you to verify if my answer is correct, does that mean they dont trust me or does it mean that they themselves have trust issues