Energy Crisis

Good video.

The most important consideration with heat pump retrofits is the ability of the house to retain heat.

SEAI introduced the Heat Loss Indicator (HLI) as part of the assessment process and its quite challenging for houses pre 2005 to qualify for a heat pump without a significant upgrade in insulation and in some cases window replacement.

2 Likes

this is huge guys,absolutely huge

Tremendous cheap clean energy. Can you please ensure energy companies pass on the savings?

A quick question. Is it worth turning up the room stats at night time to take advantage of cheaper electricity then return to a lower temp once the day rate kicks in or does that put too much pressure on the heat pump?

Heap Pump will work harder but it shouldnt be an issue. This strategy relies heavily on the ability if the house to retain the heat.

Do you WFH?

Yeah WFH most of the time; I’m just hoping to take advantage of the cheaper night rate to heat the place. House is A2 BER so not airtight but pretty good overall

The whole idea of a heat pump is that you leave it alone. You don’t fiddle with the temperature.

3 Likes

You’d make shite of your stats turning them up and down too.

1 Like

A2 house will retain any temperature easily enough. Change the temp maybe once/twice a year depending on the severity of the cold. To come on at 17/18 when things are really cold and 19c normally.

I wouldn’t tie my donkey to that statement. Loading the energy consumption onto the cheaper rate makes financial sense but as the honourable @KinvarasPassion rightly points out, it’s all about the building’s capacity to retain the energy.

You’re spot on re the optimum setup - don’t touch her - but the realities of running costs, ability to retain heat and occupant behaviour means it’s hard to maintain a single, suitable comfort level on a single setup.

Such is life.

1 Like

yeah, it works best on the heating curve using the external sensor.

However some heat pumps (eg Ecodan) have the option of using internal stats to control heat pump also. Going back to Stones original post, sounds like he has the ability to raise the temp demand during the cheaper tariff window, is it worth doing it? debatable
 but again these things are worth trying.

the key thing is not forgetting to lower the stat when the day rate kicks in

1 Like

Interesting site under development. A chatbot to ask your solar questions to

1 Like

Well earned lads

1 Like

I wouldn’t begrudge the ESB boys at all. Cunt of a job, out in all weathers and terrains. More luck to them.

1 Like

You’re talking about ESB Networks

I’ll have to get onto the union; as an employee of a semi state company this type of largesse being shown by the ESB is discomfiting

1 Like

I am

The tap is on in this country

Irish Energy Bot on X: “Yesterday, wind met 71% of Irish electricity demand. The high was 84%. Total generation met 102% of demand and averaged a 70%/30% split between wind and all other sources. Wind peaked at 73%. https://t.co/ao99LjAt8F” / X (twitter.com)