ENGLAND Supporters Thread

V Brazil?

Missed one in the FA Cup final against Forest as well.

Cantona’s missed Panenka is even funnier.

2 Likes

That penalty if he scored would have made him joint record England goal scorer with Charlton.

1 Like

Whatever about goals records etc, jimmy greaves is the best English centre forward of all time

1 Like

Charlton had 49 England goals, Lineker had 48, Greaves had 44, but I’m sure Greaves’ scoring rate was much higher.

Greaves had less than 60 caps. Phenomenal

1 Like

He was brilliant. Some turn of pace and for a small fella he had some leap on him.

Greaves was a genius but for me Bobby Charlton is the greatest English player ever. Wasn’t a pure goalscorer.

Some channel played the entirety of the 1968 European Cup final during the pandemic and from the bit I saw of it, he ran the game.

Ramsey took him off in the 1970 quarter-final against West Germany just after the Germans had pulled one back. That seems like a crazy decision on the face of it.

1 Like

On pure talent, Gazza for me was their greatest

It was supposedly to rest him for the next game. Ramsey thought they had it in the bag.

I remember once seeing an interview with Greaves and he said he was never able to juggle a football. Just said he could never do it . Seemed odd for a fella so good.

I recall watching the warm up of a Northern Ireland game on BBC, it may have been Northern Ireland v Portugal in October 1996, and the camera focussing on Iain Dowie as he attempted to juggle a football. He got about four. He went again and got about three.

“Well, I hope he plays better on the pitch than he is playing keepie uppies, because I’d do better than that”, Jackie Fullerton joked.

I found it funny, anyway.

5 Likes

Like Kane that was for the English record at time too

How the fuck did he not tog out a few more times just to get the record? Especially after that! How many games did he play stuck on 48 goals?

he had four more caps after the Brazil game. He was gone after Euro 92.

Yeah I remember he got taken off against Sweden when they lost by turnip Taylor

it’s a shame gazza missed that. a shocking period for soccer all told… that and '90 were absolutely horrendous tournaments

1 Like

He was off to Japan too iirc.

Not sure on that, have you seen the new documentaries on Italia 90? Would you give you a new appreciation of it outside the Irish stuff. It literally #meantmore to so many countries.

As Esteban said he only had a few more caps after that anyway. I think he didn’t score in his last 5 or 6 England games. He was definitely slowing down and was signed as a huge name to promote the j league too. So that move effectively finished his international career.
I think he suffered from a bad toe injury too that restricted him but that may have been after he moved to Japan.

He was meant to be excellent at cricket under age too but obviously chose football in the end.

With regards to cricket he can’t have been too bad.