Euro 2012 - Match discussion thread

I think the point you’re missing is that if he keeps up the progress he’s made in his career to date, then he has the potential to be as good as Pele. He’s not there yet, but he has the potential to get there.

England’s black four were immense in fairness

:o

Pirlo said afterwards that he decided to hit his penalty like that to put pressure on the English takers.

Also poor Joe Hart had no idea England were out after that last penalty. He went to take up his normal position and turned around to see the Italians celebrating.

http://www.football-…-i-chipped-hart

Andrea Pirlo reveals why he decided an audacious chip in the penalty shoot-out against England. “It put pressure on them.”

The Italy midfielder scored with a sensational lob to beat Joe Hart in the 4-2 shoot-out victory.

“At the moment I saw the goalkeeper making strange movements, so I waited for him to move and hit it like that.

“It was easier for me to chip it at that stage. Maybe my effort put some pressure on England and in fact Ashley Young missed the next one after me.

“I didn’t fear an upset, as England barely created anything, just tried to defend the result and drag us to penalties. We stayed in control and in the end won out.

“We knew that we could control the match, as England are a very defensive team and we saw that from the way they played throughout the group phase. It’s just a shame we took this long to beat them and used up a lot of energy.

“We dominated the encounter and it’s a pity we didn’t take our chances during the 90 minutes or extra time. At least the penalties sent the right team through.

“Mario Balotelli worked hard and helped his teammates. He made a few mistakes when finishing, but he has the quality and will improve.”

Italy now face Germany in the Euro 2012 semi-final on Thursday evening.

“Of course we were thinking about Germany, as we knew they would be our opponents if we qualified, but now we have to concentrate and recuperate in time for Thursday.

“Is anything possible? Of course, that’s why we’re here.”

Joe is good at his angles but less so at basic addition.

Thank christ for that. Italy, despite the peerless Pirlo, are a very limited team. England are utter muck, anti football. Delighted they’re gone, they hang around tournaments like a bad smell.Gary McAllister made a good point earlier that Trap is being pilloried for exactly the same 4-4-2 non creative tactics. The stats from that QF with Italy with 68% posession tell it all. One thing I did notice was how easily English players fall over now. The slightest touch and they’re down. There were some very dodgy frees and indeed yellows in that game against Italy that would have had the English commentariat howling if they had been given against them. Italy were at least honest in their application, the Enghlish have become simulating cheats. One was very funny though, John Terry diving in the box in the second half.

So Germany for us in the semi-final. Hopefully it’ll be a repeat of the 2006 World Cup semi-final which was the greatest game ever played. Pirlo’s reverse ball for Grosso’s goal that night was absolutely sexual.

The facial contortions JT pulled during that incident were, I imagine, very similar to those he would have had while in the throes of sexual ecstacy with his former team mate Wayne Bridge’s wife.

Ex girlfriend I believe.

Tonight proved that Rooneys overhead against City was a fluke. :lol:

Grosso! The bollox cost me €500!
I was new enough to betting and had €10 on Klose/Germany @50/1

I nearly fucking trashed the place when he scored.
A repeat of that match would be something very special.

Sure he shinned the one against city. Plain and simple.

Sure he shinned the one against city. Plain and simple.

Looking back on it again Pirlo’s peno changed the whole dynamic of the shoot out. Italy were down at the time but after Pirlo’s wizardry England proceeded to miss their next two kicks. It got to them, it was like he was saying ‘Look this is what true class can do, can you match it?’ Of course they couldn’t.

Top notch with the Keano sketch from Apres match tonight too :clap: :slight_smile:

Yeah that was on the money. What a hostile man.

England should try entering the African cup of nations most of their lads feel right at home in numerous ways.

thats exaxtly what gary mcalister said on setanta- saying that once pirlo took his balls out and scored that penalty England were gone- he was oozing over it

andy cole was fantastic as well- after the 90 mins and extra time he basically said england didnt deserve to go through and that if they did they would be honked by germany . he was uber critical of them and their style

england hoofing the ball up to the big man while we dominated with our class- some things never change- how can Kib and runt bow down to this shit is beyond me