Euro 2012 - Match discussion thread

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Andy Cole who heretofore I had thought to be an intellectually challenged cunt.

Italy 0-0 England: Pirlo dictates the game

June 25, 2012

The starting line-ups
Italy somehow failed to score despite dominating for 120 minutes, but won the resulting penalty shoot-out.
Cesare Prandelli brought in Riccardo Montolivo to play at the top of the diamond, because of concerns over Thiago Motta’s fitness.
Roy Hodgson made no changes from the XI that narrowly defeated Ukraine in the group stage.
Italy were the better side all over the pitch here – only finishing let them down.
Tactical battle
This was a simple game – there was no progression midway through, no switch in systems, no key substitutions, no sudden change of pace. It was one system against another for two hours.
Italy’s system wanted to dominate the centre of the pitch, with two passers at either tip (Andrea Pirlo and Riccardo Montolivo) and two shuttlers along the sides providing energy and forward runs. England’s system, at least in theory, offered more width.
There were two key parts to the game – first, the width coming from full-back. Second, England allowing Pirlo to dominate the game.
Narrowness and full-backs
Italy had much more of the ball than England. This was entirely expected, whether you look at it from the point of view of systems or coaches. As a result, the formation battle was essentially on Italy’s terms, and England got dragged into a system they didn’t really want to play.
In other words, they became too narrow. James Milner was drawn inside and played close to Daniele De Rossi, while Ashley Young also ended up in a very central position near Claudio Marchisio. Milner was suited to this role and performed his defensive duties well, but Young was uncomfortable defensively and also offered little going forward. Hodgson may have been better making his side lopsided, asking Milner, Steven Gerrard and Scott Parker to deal with De Rossi, Montolivo and Marchisio, allowing Young to remain free for an out-ball on the left, to prompt counter-attacks.
As England were dragged narrow, all the width came from full-back, from both sides. England started brightly in this respect, as Glen Johnson attacked down the right and had the game’s first clear chance, when he got the ball stuck under his feet in the penalty box. He also put in a couple of good crosses, and England seemed to have the right idea when they had the ball – but after half an hour, Johnson was much more restricted in his movement.

The more the game went on, the less of the ball England enjoyed. And that meant Italy’s full-backs had much more license to get forward, stretch the play and increase the active playing zone, making England work harder to cover a large amount of ground. The Italian full-backs played significantly higher up the pitch and influenced the game more, and although they rarely provided great service into the box, they forced England back.
Pirlo
More important, however, was the freedom Andrea Pirlo enjoyed. At times England’s shape was good, bringing both strikers back into the midfield zone, remaining compact and getting both Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney goalside of Pirlo. When Welbeck was in a position to close down the Juventus midfielder, he generally did his job excellently.
Rooney was much sloppier, and after half an hour when Pirlo’s dominance had become clear, Joe Hart was clearly heard shouting at Rooney to pick him up. Hodgson clearly wanted Rooney to do this, because for much of the game Rooney could be seen half-heartedly jogging towards Pirlo. It was reminiscent of the 2011 Champions League final, where he started off marking Sergio Busquets, before gradually leaving Manchester United outnumbered in midfield.
It’s odd that Rooney’s tactical indiscipline has become such a problem – only a few years ago his willingness to sacrifice his own attacking game for the good of the team was reagrded as one of his main qualities. England could have done with someone like Rooney’s club teammate, Park Ji-Sung, who did a superb job on Pirlo in 2009/10[/url] – Urby Emanuelson [url=“http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/02/26/milan-1-1-juventus-tactics/”]did something similar for Milan earlier this year. Leaving Pirlo free was suicidal, and he completed over 30 more passes than any other player.

And these weren’t just sideways balls, either – though he did help to spread the play to the full-backs. Many of them were the game’s best passes – he started off by trying to find Antonio Cassano, who was causing John Terry problems, but it soon became clear that Mario Balotelli’s pace was Italy’s main threat. One situation summed it up – Pirlo got the ball in his own area, jogged forward with the ball for 30 yards before thumping it over the top for Balotelli, who was denied by a last-ditch block from Terry. There was no pressure on Pirlo, and he subsequently created another fine chance for Cassano at the far post, who knocked the ball towards Balotelli in the six-yard box.
England never dealt with Pirlo directly, but they (presumably) inadvertently stopped him being such a threat by dropping increasingly deep. In the first half England had kept a surprisingly high line and were caught out by balls over the top, but the more Italy dominated possession, the more England were scared to leave the edge of their own penalty box.
Therefore, the space in behind had vanished, and Pirlo’s only great moment of creativity in extra-time was a similar pass to his earlier ball for Balotelli, shortly after Rooney had lost possession in the Italy box, when England were high up the pitch. But England attacked so rarely, and Italy might have benefited if England had come into the game more and left gaps at the back. England actually defended well as a unit in the final hour of the tie, with their narrowness allowing them to make plenty of blocks.
Few changes
The benches played little part in the game. Prandelli brought on Alessandro Diamanti for Cassano, Antonio Nocerino for De Rossi, and Christian Maggio for Abate. All three were influenced by fitness concerns over the departing players, and the shape of the game changed little.
Hodgson’s double substitution was slightly more about strategy, even if the formation remained the same. Theo Walcott on for Milner theoretically offered more counter-attacking ability, but Walcott never seemed to get the right pass, with Parker noticeably overhitting a couple towards him. Andy Carroll replaced Welbeck to provide more of an aerial route – this helped relieve pressure, but England rarely got players close to him.

Carroll and Walcott were the logical players to introduce, although taking off Milner and Welbeck was debatable - Milner was at least suited to the defensive challenge, while Welbeck was playing better than Rooney and would have done more to shut down Pirlo, if asked to play behind Carroll as he did commendably (albeit without attacking success) against Sweden.
Jordan Henderson replaced Scott Parker to provide energy. That made sense – Parker was exhausted, Gerrard had cramp and was sitting deep, while Henderson has previously done well as a substitute simply by providing fresh legs and mobility.
But Italy were the better side for the vast majority of the 120 minutes, and it was right that Pirlo provided the most thrilling moment in an Italian shoot-out victory.

Conclusion
Italy’s diamond controlled the game, and Pirlo was the star player – he set the tempo and created chances. England’s failure to deal with him was criminal, and Rooney’s defensive role must be questioned. Italy also dragged England narrow before attacking through the full-backs, and they really should have won the game in normal time.
We’re still waiting for Italy to produce completely convincing display – for all their dominance here, their finishing was dreadful. They’ve only scored one goal from open play in the competition, and have only beaten one side, Ireland, who had already been eliminated. Their possession play is impressive and Pirlo has been one of the competition’s star players, but they’ll surely need to be more ruthless in the final third to win the competition.
England simply weren’t good enough here, and while individual decisions can be questioned tonight (the handling of Pirlo, and the substitutions), Hodgson’s overall approach was right for the competition. When inheriting a side at such short notice, particularly a squad without great technical quality compared to either sides in the competition, it made sense to focus upon organisation and shape. The defensive performance wasn’t always impressive, but England didn’t lose a game. With more from the likes of Young and Rooney, England might have overachieved – although the non-performance of talented, creative attackers can’t be divorced from the use of a functional, defensive system. There was rarely a clear transition plan – that was evident tonight, with the wide players dragged inside and in no position to launch an attack.
For Hodgson, the real test starts now. Such a reactive style of football is entirely forgiveable for a short-term project, but England have to be in a position to play a more proactive, flexible brand of football if they want to be genuine contenders, rather than organised underdogs hoping to get lucky

Samir Nasri’s international future with France[/url] is likely to depend on [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Laurent_Blanc”]Laurent Blanc’s own managerial plans, with the Manchester City midfielder emerging as the scapegoat of the latest French disintegration at a major tournament.
Nasri, dropped from the starting line-up by Blanc for Saturday’s Euro 2012[/url] quarter-final defeat against [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Spain_national_football_team”]Spain in Donetsk, ended his tournament on a sour note with a sustained foul-mouthed attack on a French reporter as he walked towards the team bus in the Donbass Arena.
The former Arsenal player, who is 25 tomorrow, had appeared set to play a central role for the French in Ukraine[/url] after scoring the equalising goal in a 1-1 draw against [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/England_national_football_team”]England in their opening fixture in Group D a fortnight ago.
But Nasri’s subsequent failure to impress against Ukraine and Sweden[/url] was followed by a dressing-room clash with midfielder [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Alou_Diarra”]Alou Diarra[/url] at the end of the 2-0 defeat against the Swedes and he was omitted from the team against Spain before replacing [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Florent_Malouda”]Florent Malouda as substitute in the 64th minute.
Blanc has admitted to French reporters in the past that he expects Nasri to ‘do more’ when on international duty and his failure to replicate his performance against England, when he celebrated his goal with a ‘shush’ gesture to the French media, has done little to erase Blanc’s doubts.
With Tottenham understood to be keen to talk to Blanc about the managerial vacancy at White Hart Lane, the former Manchester United[/url] defender’s career path might be set to take him away from [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/France_national_football_team”]France – and Nasri – ahead of the qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup.
But his defence of Nasri following his angry post-match confrontation with a reporter from ‘Agence-France Presse’ was certainly guarded and a pointer towards his exasperation with the player.
“I did talk to Nasri about his conduct with the press, but evidently the message didn’t get through.” Blanc said. "It is not very good for Nasri’s image and neither is it for the team’s. There is, above all, a problem between Nasri and the (French) media It is regrettable, but the real problem is with the press.
“The reality is in the words expressed – they are very violent statements. There is a lack of respect there with a journalist, but the journalist doesn’t show a lot of respect either.”
Nasri’s mood at Euro 2012 had been darkened from the outset by a report in one French newspaper which suggested that Roberto Mancini[/url] no longer had room for him in his plans at City and was ready to sell him to [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Inter_Milan”]Inter Milan[/url], a claim dismissed privately by the club. The Marseille-born player has rarely been a popular figure in France, however, and his omission, along with [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Karim_Benzema”]Karim Benzema[/url], from [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Raymond_Domenech”]Raymond Domenech[/url]'s mutinous squad at the [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/2010_World_Cup”]2010 World Cup was reportedly a result of their reputations as difficult characters.
“I said to myself: ‘If we (Nasri and Benzema) were not taken (to the World Cup) because we were a disruptive influence, what would have happened if we had been there?’” Nasri said in August 2010.
Nasri’s reaction to being criticised at Euro 2012 has earned him further condemnation, however, with 1998 World Cup winner Christophe Dugarry, now a television commentator, saying, “Samir, we just wrote that you didn’t play very well.”
While Nasri’s row with Diarra, and Blanc’s argument with Newcastle’s Hatem Ben Arfa, highlight the simmering tensions within the French camp – Blanc admitted that the “demons” of the past remained – the coach appears to retain the support of the majority of his players.
“I hope Blanc will continue with us,” said Real Madrid forward Benzema. "It’s his personal decision, but he knows us well.
“Of course we have a future as a team. If we hadn’t got past the group stage, it would have been another fiasco, but we are leaving the Euros with our heads held high and we can be proud of ourselves.”
Diarra, also dropped for the Spain game, attempted to play down the significance of his clash with Nasri by insisting, “Not much happened, but it acquired ridiculous proportions.”
But while the reality is that the French squad has not come close to repeating the ugly scenes of South Africa, when the players threatened to strike in protest at the selection decisions of Raymond Domenech, the former coach claims that the familiar signs of disunity were evident among Blanc’s players.
“I do not think that he (Blanc) wanted to build a team that doesn’t work, but the real problem is that there are kids (players) playing in the school yard,” Domenech said.
"As a coach, you have to make choices and it is never easy.
“The coach has an idea and he tries to build it with his staff, but there was too much individualism and, as long as the team is not the first priority, you will not go far in a European Championship.”
When Blanc was asked on Saturday whether he wanted to continue with “these players”, he offered a vague response, saying only that “we will see what happens”.
The next date on the calendar is a friendly against Uruguay in August – a game which could throw Patrice Evra against Luis Suarez once again – but if Blanc is there to take charge, Nasri has many bridges to build if he wishes to be there too. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

• Mark Ogden in Donetsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWSz5y43Qcs

+1 mate

Interesting read that from ZM.

A couple of points:
[list]
[]He thinks England were right to focus on defensive organisation because of the short time the manager had with the players. Trapattoni obviously had longer with the Irish players but I think their technical weaknesses meant the same decision was inevitable. We just defended really badly which didn’t suit our strategy of surrendering possession.
[
]I think Abate’s injury last night was the big saviour for England. He was absolutely destroying them at the start of the second half and once he tweaked his hamstring he decided to stay back for 20 minutes or so before Maggio came on and played far more conservatively.
[]England’s high defensive line certainly gave up a few chances but I don’t think they looked comfortable defending from deep either. Terry, in fairness, made a couple of decent headers and blocks around the edge of the box but the offside “goal” and the Cassano knock-back for Balotelli and a few other half chances all came when England were camped in their box.
[
]Interesting to read the fairly strong criticism of Rooney. He didn’t look much of an attacking threat last night but his workrate was really really poor. Would have been a gutsy call to take him off before Welbeck but there was no doubt who was playing better.
[*]Ashley Young was O’Shea-esque last night. A performance of gross ineptitude.
[/list]

FORZA ITALIA!

What can I say lads but that was a sweet victory. Pirlo exemplified why he has been the top central midfielder of his generation last night, if anyone thinks a 5 yard passing robot like Xavi is a better player they need their head checked. I thought he was superb all over the pitch, solid at the back and in control in the midfield area, I do think we lacked a focal point in attack. One of my criticism’s of Prandelli’s selection was it left us without a penalty box player, I really felt that either Pazzini or Matri should have been included in the squad and last night was a glaring reference to that, the game would not have entered extra time if they were with us. The nerveless mentality of our lads was a joy to behold and our Serie A’s superior fitness levels ran out winners at the end of the match.

England were absolutely dire, Abate made Ashley Young look like the charlatan he is while Parker and Gerrard were chasing shadows all night. Rooney is not a top level player, the English defence were solid but it’s not as hard to defend well when you are camped on your own 18 yard line. Bonucci and Barzagli strolled it tonight and Buffon as usual was a calming comfort behind them. Balzaretti is not my favourite player but he’s very solid defensively and is a constant outlet, if only he could work on his end product he would be a fabulous player, I thought Abate was outstanding, Maggio was more uncertain. De Rossi, Marchisio, Montolivo and Nocerino all aided Pirlo superbly last night – Montolivo in particular showed a few delightful glimpses throughout. Cassano and Balotelli were frustrated overall but both had their glimpses and it was difficult for them with the way England packed players behind the ball. Diamanti was a lively presence when introduced, he added a touch of spontaneity to our attack when he came on.

Germany is a big test for us and they will go in as favourites which will suit us, the one thing against us is how much fresher they shall be. But I feel we are lined up perfectly in a tactical sense to punish Germany, our attackers will get much more joy against the Germans than they did against England and the one thing I have pushed about this Italian side from the very start of the tournament is our balance and our variety. I don’t see a side in the tournament who are as flexible or adaptable in the way the play as we are, most of them strike me as one-trick-ponies who can only play in one way and if that doesn’t work then they can’t change. Our midfield has guile in the likes of Montolivo and Pirlo, robustness and tactical insight in Motta and De Rossi and energy and drive with Marchisio and Nocerino. We’ve defended very well throughout the tournament and against Germany we will need to do this better than we have had to of late but I think it’s much easier to defend well on the back foot than the front and it is how well we have defended on the front foot so far that has impressed me so much this tournament.

It would have been an injustice if we exited last night and there is no person I feel more happy for than Cesare Prandelli, I hope the great man has won lots of new admirers over the course of this tournament. I overheard a Man United fan in the pub last night commenting that Pirlo is up there with Xavi and Scholes as the best midfielder of his generation. FFS Sake. Scholes, in his prime, would not have made the current Italian squad never mind putting him up on a pedestal with Pirlo.

Calcio. :wub:

Michael Owen :rolleyes: . England could keep the ball against half decent sides when Scholes was in the side 10 years ago, if he couldn’t do it at that level then how could be be expected to do it now.

Former England hero Michael Owen is claiming Manchester United veteran Paul Scholes was the missing link in England’s penalty shootout defeat to Italy yesterday.
The Three Lions crashed out of Euro 2012 after losing their fifth consecutive shootout as a dominate Azzurri side set up a semi-final meeting with Germany.
And throughout the match England failed to keep possession and Owen took to Twitter to condemn the absence of Scholes in midfield.
He said: "Pirlo was awesome but we have a player of a similar age and equally as good. Unfortunately he wasn’t there. #Scholes.
"Easy for people to say ‘until we keep possession better we will never win anything’. We are not as good as others at doing that.
"We played to our strengths but are just not quite good enough. We were hoping to ‘do a Chelsea’. If you are not the best team then you have to find an alternative way to win. The other option is to forget results for a while and start from scratch playing a different style.
“Doubt we have the type of players to do that though. Answer has to be to start coaching our youngsters a different brand of football.”
Rio Ferdinand also identified with the players but praised the magnificence of Pirlo as being the difference between to two countries.

Whatever about Scholes at his peak, and he was way off Pirlo’s standard then, it’s pretty funny that there’s an assumption he might have a similar influence because he’s a similar age. He might have picked up the odd knock down from Andy Carroll around midfield but that’s about it.

Impressed with both Montolivo and Diamanti last night. Agreed that Italy maybe lacked a striker to take full advantage of their neat midfield play but that was all they were missing.

Found Balzaretti a bit frustrating. Took up some great positions but seemed to check back each time and played the easy pass too often. Solid defensive shift though, other than the early Johnson chance when he and DDR let Milner free.

Can’t believe nobody commented on Francesco doing the exact same thing as Pirlo against the Netherlands in the Euro 2000 penalty shoot-out.

you must feel so vindicated about prandelli

forza calcio

:rolleyes:

I posted up a video of it you goon

He would have been next to useless in Hodgson’s 4-4-2 formation

:o

I do indeed mate.

Prandelli, Spalletti and Zeman are three best coaches in the world at the minute.

I believe De Rossi and Abate are doubts for Germany. Abate would be a huge loss given that Maggio is already suspended.

[quote=“Mr. Totti, post: 690030”]
Can’t believe nobody commented on Francesco doing the exact same thing as Pirlo against the Netherlands in the Euro 2000 penalty shoot-out.
[/quote]Gary Lineker did it in an England-Brazil friendly match in 1992 also. Attempted to at any rate.

That would be hugely significant alright. I think Germany’s wide attackers (whoever they select) will cause far more problems than Young and Milner obviously and the Italian full backs will be more defensively occupied. Will they play a centre back wide if they’re both out Totti? Did they replace Chiellini or is he expected to return?

WTF?

You cannot replace players in the squad once the tournament begins you clown

Ogbonna would likely be used at right back, but he’s also left footed and primarily a centre back, it would be a massive blow for us. What I’ve gauged from the Germans so far is that the wide attackers don’t really keep the width, they like to cut inside. Hope Abate is fit, he’s a fantastic player.

It will be interesting to see who we select in attack for the semi, I’d like to see Balotelli and Cassano get the nod again. Is the game on Wednesday or Thursday lads?