Euro 2012 - Match discussion thread

Thursday

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 690039”]

WTF?

You cannot replace players in the squad once the tournament begins you clown[/quote]

Woah. Relax mate. Didn’t realise the tournament had begun yet.

[quote=“Mr. Totti, post: 690040”]

Ogbonna would likely be used at right back, but he’s also left footed and primarily a centre back, it would be a massive blow for us. What I’ve gauged from the Germans so far is that the wide attackers don’t really keep the width, they like to cut inside. Hope Abate is fit, he’s a fantastic player.

It will be interesting to see who we select in attack for the semi, I’d like to see Balotelli and Cassano get the nod again. Is the game on Wednesday or Thursday lads?[/quote]

I think Germany can go either way with those wide attackers depending on the defensive setup. If they feel there’s a weakness at full back then they’ll exploit it. You might recall them dragging the English defenders out to the touchlines in the World Cup and leaving the centre empty for midfield runners.

https://p.twimg.com/AwOvuHnCIAAk4Fo.jpg

England supporter behind the goal trying to put Diamanti off by flashing his cock and balls at him. :lol:

England’s defensive approach to the Euro 2012 quarter-final against Italy was criticised by Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport this morning.
Italy, historically known for their defensive acumen, were 4-2 victors on penalties after dominating the match in Kiev, and will now face Germany in the semi-finals on Thursday.
Roy Hodgson’s men did not receive especially favourable coverage, and Gazzetta likened their tactics to those employed to great effect by Chelsea during their Champions League campaign.
“England started well, then, even though they remained organised, they gradually faded away on the pitch,” a Gazzetta editorial read.
"They held on for penalties but it didn’t go well for them.
“The laws of football could not allow for a triumph of another English ‘catenaccio’ (defensive approach) after that of Chelsea won the Champions League.”
Gazzetta felt Italy were worthy winners.
Their main headline screamed: “An Italy that wins and we continue!”
That is followed by a sub-headline which says “Italy dominated. We hit the post twice and in penalties the victory arrives. On Thursday we take on the Germans in the semi-finals.”
Rome-based Corriere dello Sport saluted the Azzurri and carried a front-page photograph of the Italian players celebrating after substitute Alessandro Diamanti scored the final, victory-clinching penalty with the headline: “Enormous”.
Corriere’s editorial said Prandelli’s Italy was the better side.
“A great Italy dominates England and beats them on penalties,” it read.
Corriere also hailed the performance of experienced Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo, whose classy chipped penalty kick beat England goalkeeper Joe Hart to keep Italy on course.
“A memorable penalty kick from Pirlo gives the Azzurri confidence,” Corriere said.
Turin-based sports newspaper Tuttosport carried a photograph of several Italian players celebrating on their front page and, taking a jab at the nickname of England’s squad, ran a headline which read: “We are the lions.”
Tuttosport notes that despite Italy’s superiority, with Daniele de Rossi and Diamanti denied by the woodwork, they were made to sweat before overcoming England.
“Italy dominate, two great shots denied by the post but they are only able to overcome England on penalties,” the sports paper says.
Tuttosport’s editorial is “Italian job, a delight” and the article hailed the performance of the Azzurri, who “never stopped believing” even after they missed one of their penalties - Riccardo Montolivo missed his spot-kick but it went unpunished.
National newspaper Il Messaggero saluted the Azzurri’s fighting spirit and said it was “an example of strength”.

Rooney shit again on the biggest stage?

he was getting pelters from an article in the guardian today. think it was from the zonal marking guru.

There have been 37 direct free kick attempts on goal at Euro 2012 so far? Anyone want to guess how many have hit the target?

Ashley Young was incredibly shit.

Five Live’s 606 from last night is a terrific listen.

“They brought Michaelangelo, we brought Bob the Builder”.

:lol:

That is a very funny remark, sid.

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 690048”]

7[/quote]

Nope but thanks for trying. 4 is the answer.

Leave him alone you bully. Rafa Benitez had some lovely things to say about Motta before yesterday’s game.

“It would be some result for England to beat their opponents tomorrow evening (Sunday in Kiev) and while everyone has been talking about Andrea Pirlo, you should look out for Thiago Motta,” said Benitez, whose troubled reign at Inter lasted six months as he was sacked days after winning the 2010 World Club Cup paying the price for a poor start to the defence of the Serie A title won under Jose Mourinho.
"Believe me, Motta can play.
"He played for me, when I was managing Internazionale, and against me, in Barcelona’s team versus our Liverpool side in the game we won 2-1 in the Nou Camp on the way to the 2007 Champions League final (where they lost to AC Milan).
“I’ll never forget how Motta was substituted before an hour of that game had passed in Catalonia, because things were not so difficult for my own team in midfield after he had left the field.”

I also enjoyed the bit on BBC before the penalty shootout where Guy Mowbray talked about the goalkeepers differing ways of preparing for the event of a penalty shootout in their pre-match press conferences. Hart informed the media he had prepared by watching DVD’s of the penalties all the current Italian players had taken over the last few years. Gigi was asked the same question and said he prepared by watching some naughty videos in his hotel room. :lol:

Gigi is a fantastic lad.

“The story of Andrea Pirlo is one twinned with Charlie Adam”

If that statement has grabbed your attention, then please read further from the link below.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=278109.0

http://joe.ie/football/videos/video-robbie-keane-pays-tribute-to-james-nolan-after-scoring-for-la-galaxy-0026214-1

Robbie often gets a raw deal in some quarters but this was a great gesture.

:clap:

Keith Andrews must have half of them.

I don’t know if his count or not because they were touched to him so may not be in the stats for direct shots on goal.

Danielino on Pirlo’s penalty.

[font=arial][size=1]
“If I had to choose a lasting image from the game I’d say Pirlo’s penalty,” he said.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]
“I’d not seen such a crazy shot as that since the days of Totti.”[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]
[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]
:clap:[/size][/font]

[quote=“Rocko, post: 690058”]
I don’t know if his count or not because they were touched to him so may not be in the stats for direct shots on goal.[/quote]

As a respected statistician Rocko, can you tell me if the ball is smashed into the wall but had the wall not been there it would’ve hit the target, does that go down as a shot on target?