Euro 2016 - Irish Squad Watch

+1. And he waddling out and laying down in front of Costa for the first and waddling across the line for the third. His reactions are appalling too.

Lads what do you make of this Damien Delaney chap sticking his hand up again? He was generally quite gracious in his retirement with what he said, and we are desperately weak on central defensive options, but I’m wary on this one.

You’re right to be wary. For starters, his name is Damien Delaney FFS.

1 Like

The fucking prick lied about that too! We should stay well away so.

Was he not critical of O’Neill when he retired? I don’t think he’s particularly good.

Thats what been said, I think there was some confusion over things that were said and not said. I’ve reread his statement, and I don’t think it was too critical to be honest. There may have been bits before and after in the press that caused the issues

Here is the statement in full:
"Good afternoon… I just want to clarify my position with regards to the Ireland national team and my omission from the current squad.
"I have no issue with Roy Keane and shook his hand this summer at a Cork City European match.
"I know that at the age of 34 the future of Irish football does not lie with me, the rigours of premier league football and the 24/7 dedication required takes its toll so I look on the international break as a chance to recover, that said I spoke to Martin O Neill and contrary to his recent comments I never asked for a regular starting position.
"I did however disagree with certain aspects which out of respect to Martin and the national team will remain private. Ireland need to plan for the long term even if it means sacrificing one maybe two major tournaments.
"We need to build an identity and team ethos from schoolboy football to full international that will last. I understand people weren’t enamoured with Mr. Trapattoni but whether you agreed with his philosophy or not you have to respect the man and the results he achieved with his philosophy.
"There are many footballing philosophies and we need to choose one that suits Irish traits and strengths best, similar to what Wales are now achieving or what Mr. Trapattoni achieved in his time in charge.
"I’ll always be an ardent supporter and wish I could of contributed more… #coybig #identity."

I wouldn’t rate him very highly either, but we’re not exactly thick on the ground at the moment.

I wouldn’t be aghast if Delaney was called up but I’m not championing his cause either.

Who’s in line for the centre back slots assuming we take 4?

I imagine O’Shea, Clark and Keogh are certainties. The latter two did an admirable job in the play-off. Wilson is probably next in line if he recovers from the medial knee ligament injury. A 12-week timeline would have him back in action around April.

The likes of McShane, Pearce and Duffy have also been in squads. I don’t think Delaney is appreciably better than any of these 7 and I don’t think he’s good enough to be parachuted in as a starter. That said you’ll get the “but he’s a regular in the EPL” refrain from some quarters.

I’d have Darren O’Dea in as squad vice captain if he keeps up his form with Dundee.

1 Like

Agree in general. People put too much store on lads starting in the Premier League when a lot of it is down to luck. Damien Delaney for example, will undoubtedly have lads who want him to go straight in yet the team he plays for haven’t won a league game in nine games.

Duffy is the most likely option, I think he’s decent and better than Delaney.

1 Like

This Delaney stuff is all coming from Pardew who must want to sell him or something. It would be ridiculous to insert a 34 year old who took no part in the qualifying campaign and has only played 9 matches for Ireland.
I think Wilson being back in April is optimistic, hopefully he will have enough recovery done to go to France. He would be the right cover for Clark and Keogh who must be the starting choices now. O’Shea again as cover, but I can’t see him starting matches in a tournament situation.

Brady, Arter, Long, and O’Shea all after coming off injured tonight

Good scouting report right there.

1 Like

Is he only on loan at Blackburn or permanent?

Permanent.

I’d say he’ll be picked up by an EPL club next year, he’s a really solid defender. If guys like Delaney are getting regular football in the EPL then Duffy is more than good enough.

1 Like

No, he joined them permanently from Everton.

Sadlier and Cunninghams likely 23 man Euros squad:

GK - Probables - Elliot, Randolph. Possibles - Given, Forde.
Def - Probables - Christie, Clark, Coleman, Keogh, O’Shea, Ward, Wilson. Possibles - Duffy, McShane, Pearce.
Mid - Probables - Brady, Hendrick, Hoolahan, McCarthy, McClean, McGeady, Whelan. Possibles - Arter, Gleeson, Judge, Meyler, O’Kane, Pilkington, Quinn.
Att - Probables - Keane, Long, Murphy. Walters. Possibles - Doyle, McGoldrick.

Total cop out from these clowns with their “possibles” v “probables”. Why not just name your preferred 23. And they only selected 20 in their “probables”.

1 Like

What’s our 23 man squad looking like now?

Randolph, Given, Forde

Coleman, Clark, O’Shea, Keogh, Wilson, Christie, Ward, Duffy

McGeady, Brady, Hoolahan, McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Meyler

Long, Keane, Walters, Murphy

1 Like

Wouldn’t have Meyler near the squad, think Judge or Arter would offer a lot more.

Other than that I agree.

I wouldn’t take Meyler myself but O’Neill rates him and has used him as a right back during qualifying and may bring him for his versatility. Would rather O’Kane or Artur but I think they will stick with Meyler.

I thought O’Kane acquitted himself well last night. Meyler is a committed, hard trying type but he’s pretty limited and Stephen Quinn also comes into consideration for midfield along with Arter and Judge. O’Neill might free up another midfield slot by having Brady cover left back and leaving Wilson out. I’d bring Westwood ahead of Given or Forde too.

1 Like