Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Apart from Jimmy Magee

The mispronunciation of Irish names and words by UK commentators, ie. Haughey as Hockey, Gallagher as Gallaga, etc. has always irked me as I feel they generally (not always) make sure to pronounce names and words of other nationalities correctly.

A particular example of this that irked me concerned then Screensport golf commentator Ewan Murray during the 1992 Carroll’s Irish Open at Killarney. (Killeen Course). The 18th hole was tweely named “Slán Abhaile”. Murray and his co-commentator whose name I can’t remember were joking about how the pronunciation of “Slán Abhaile” was completely unintelligble to them. Murray then smirked "I think I know how to pronounce it, in Scotland we have Gallic (sic). It’s “Slann Ha-bally, you have to get the emphasis right.” He then repeated this very erroneous pronunciation several times over the next few minutes. Murray knew full well that he was talking balls about the pronunciation and I felt the incident rather disrespectful to the Irish language. I bet Ewan Murray is absolutely seething today at the the news that Northern Ireland will get its own Irish language act.

Another pointless anecdote that sticks in my memory, which I learned from Match magazine, is that Ron Atkinson spent an hour in the commentary box before the 1990 World Cup quarter-final between Argentina and Yugoslavia practising his pronunciation of the name of the Yugoslavian player Refik Sabanadzovic.

Big Ron could pronounce Refik Sabanadzovic perfectly but he fucking couldn’t pronounce Moran or McGrath.

1 Like

The Dutch are a fine side.

Not pronouncing names correctly was the least of Big Ron’s worries to be fair

If the dutch had a ruud van nistelrooy up top you’d fancy them. Memphis is grand but he isn’t top notch.

Is Alaba one for the overrated thread?

These new studio chairs must not do Chippy’s back any favours. The lack of a desk means it is difficult to take him as seriously as previously.

He’s made mistakes tonight but he’s trying to lead the whole team …some of the Austrians are pure fcukin lifeless …

Himmy Magee

2 Likes

From the mouth of the late, great Liam Nolan during the 1986 World Cup.

" And it’s back over to Guadalajara, to the Jalisco Stadium and Himmy Magee"

5 Likes

The rest of the Dutch attack have a pretty clear disdain for Weghorst’s earnest carthorse schtick

2 Likes

Some fantastic haircuts amongst the Low Countries’ defenders

De Ligt is seriously pissed over something

Brady compared De Jong to Koeman. I thought Koeman was a sweeper/centre half?

Dumfries is a mighty fine player.

1 Like

Played in midfield too from time to time.

De Jong has played as the middle man in a back three for Barca this year too.

Frenkie is a rolls royce

He was . He had serious passing range though for a defender, I think that’s what Brady meant

He used to play in midfield a bit at club level but that’s 10 years ago now I’d say. He’s probably a top class left back and slightly worse at centre half and merely a good midfielder

The are not similar as players