Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

If the Germans drop Ginter and Hummels they should be grand.

Clearly they aren’t grand if they are required to drop their two centre halves. They are a shambles at the back.

Don’t think any of the players are really playing for their manager either.

Who do they have to replace them? Emre Can? They don’t exactly have a load of great defenders.

Hummels was excellent against Portugal tbf.

England are set up to play stronger teams and this draw will actually suit them. But the Germans do move the ball nicely.

Ginter and Hummels are probably on a par with Stones/Mings.

Germany’s midfield is infinitely better than Rice and Phillips.

Germany aren’t any great shakes but they are comfortably better than the English side.

England are just as bad they drew with Scotland.

This England team is excellent. Great attitude and fully aware of their limitations.

Possibly yer boy Halstenburg and Sule.

England haven’t played a decent attacking team yet.

Germany will rip them to shreds.

Germany have better players but England have home advantage. I think you’d have to say that England would have a decent chance if they had a go at Hummels (which they probably won’t). Germany have a history of struggling against weaker sides that don’t respect them and go out and attack them - Hungary and Ireland. England should haver better players than those 2. You’re right that Germany would be better if they could replace Hummels but they won’t so that’s that. England should be able to get a goal or 2 and if they defended well they could go close.

Home advantage hasn’t really done much good so far and won’t if you only have 15k or so in a 90k stadium.

I can see England scoring but I think the big doubts about their midfield and defence will be badly exposed. If Southgate persists with Rice and Phillips they are in bother.

I think Rice is their biggest problem. You’d imagine the tactically astute Germans will have a plan for him. They must have learned a lot from the Scotland game.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say gegenpress on Rice and Phillips and the English defence is going to cause serious problems.

The Foden mania seems to have died down anyway.

If you’re an England fan you’d have to be concerned about Rice and Philips going up against Kroos and Gundogan. Huge pressure on England playing at home, up against a team with buckets of knockout tournament games.

England couldn’t beat Scotland. Germany battered Portugal

He’s only winding. (You would hope)

2 Likes

England have not conceded a goal yet. Whether they have the rest of the puzzle in place is very open to question, but they seem to have the first part in place.

I suspect they will get past Germany by hook or by crook.

2 Likes

If you don’t concede a goal then the worst than can happen is that you lose of penalties . :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I’ve a sneaking feeling that England will actually win on penalties on Tuesday. The jingoism will go off the charts.

That’s like saying the fox will kill the hound.