Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

4-3-3 employs two wingers

Jesus that’s a clamping.

1 Like

300px-ENG-FRG_1966-07-30.svg

Now that’s a clamping

2 Likes

I went to bed before extra time, but the ref seemed decent and fair to me.

oh dear

it shifted it from purely attack focused to defense focused - from we’ll outscore to we won’t concede, on the back of England getting battered by Hungary I think it was.

I’d love to check the scoring averages pre - 1966 and post to see the actual effect of it, but i haven’t the time

1 Like

How could an English man not know that?

1 Like

they’re embarrassed about ruining football

@EstebanSexface is so rattled now he’s resorted to relying on Wikipedia. An England win on Sunday night could really drive the likes of him and @Perez2017 over the edge.

If you’re deciding you can’t support a team in the final based on a perception of that country’s football having spread negative, spoiling tactics over the last six decades, may I suggest Italy probably aren’t the team for you.

I’m not supporting either team in the final because I’m not a child and can enjoy a game of ball without picking sides

Italy are admirable because they own it - they take massive pride in it. They don’t pretend like they didn’t do it.

That’s sort of the same logic that says criminals who boast about what they do are admirable.

it’s soccer mate. It isn’t crime

1 Like

I think I’ll take the word of James Lawton, who was actually there, over the word of “Sports Nova”.

1 Like

Jesus you’re taking this very personally

Ah yeah. It’s me who’s taking things personally, not you. :grinning:

What could have been a jumping off point for English football became what it aspired to be – Alf Ramsey and his 1966 squad withered away, failing to qualify for the 1974 World Cup, but the 4-4-2 remains entrenched as the default in English football, made worse by the narrowing influence of Charles Reep and his direct football dogma.

1 Like