Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

He fumbled the save. He might have knocked it out for a corner or caught it if it wasn’t for the laser.

3 Likes

Caught it, started a counter attack where they would have scored is what would have happened

8 Likes

Bjorn Kuipers will officiate the final.

Leaves a really bitter taste when you see the official my Dane’s got last night.

Standard has been gash from the bits I’ve seen. Arthur Scargill would have been better than the dross Spain brought out to score goals. You’d have to hate football or be English not to be shouting for Italy. Would be a travesty if plodders like Rice and Phillips are part of a midfield that wins the Euros. Southgate is a cowardly manager but it works. Better than the sum of their parts. Italy have been by far the most entertaining team to watch.

2 Likes

Spain have the most goals in the tournament

Just shows how an isolated stat like that can be very misleading.

what? being the highest scoring team in the tournament :smiley:

They scored a hatful in one game against absolute dross l. You threw out a stat that made it look like they had decent strikers. If they had they would have beaten Italy.

Spain are very effective at what they do but are also extremely one dimensional. That’s why they drew 5 or their 6 games in regulation time.

Do we know that for sure? That sounds like dangerous speculation on your part.

2 Likes

Spain got stronger as tournament went on …effective at what they do is very misleading …Wimbledon were very effective at what they did… Spain play a possession game that takes so much skill to execute that practically no other team tries to replicate it .
On Tuesday night Italy went from an attacking ,hard running to being forced to retreat back into a shell …they were bamboozled …

1 Like

What he’s shouting there at the end is “Andiamo a Berlino Beppe” - “Let’s go to Berlin Peppe!” (Beppe = Guiseppe Bergomi in the commentary box beside him). That would give you goosebumps.

1 Like

Big Pat Lampard vibes here

1 Like

Chelsea lost the Champions League final on penalties that year too.

Spain can dominate the ball but they struggle to convert that dominance on the scoresheet. It’s grand having loads of the ball but you need to carry a threat. They only won one of 6 games in regulation time, that’s telling.

2 Likes

you must be one of the few Italians with little appreciation for art …you’re clearly from the south…

I’m just stating facts mate. If you have level of the ball, you should not be drawing 5 of 6 games in regulation time.

1 Like

They have no fox in the box pal…a much higher calibre of player …I thought their performance against Italy on Tuesday was one of the best I’ve seen.

They dominated the ball but unless you have the guile and prowess to make that count then you run the risk.

I thought they did what they did very well but you need to be able to mix it up. I think Italy can do it every way, they can impose themselves, they can soak it up and grind it out when they need to as well.

1 Like

Hope you’re right about Italy …I’ve a bad feeling they’ve shot their load early against the likes of Turkey and Wales …goalkeeper was probably their best player agin Belgium … and like i said they didn’t set out to play that way against Spain,they just couldn’t get near it … I hope they do England but I’m not convinced …

1 Like